Subject: Re: [port-srv-reg] Service names/ports/codes discussion

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 20:29:01 +0100

Dear all,

The text below was once part of the DCCP WG Service Codes draft, and has 
since been removed with the expectation that this (or similar text) will 
be added to the draft defining the new IANA guidelines.

Do people think these are reasonable additions for DCCP?

Gorry.

---

This document updates the IANA allocation procedures for the DCCP Port 
Number and DCCP Service Codes Registries as defined in RFC 4340.

A.1. Service Code Registry

Service Codes are allocated first-come-first-served (19.8. [RFC4340]). 
This document updates RFC4340 in the following way:

o    "The IANA MAY assign new Service Codes without seeking Expert 
Review using their discretion, but SHOULD seek expert review when a 
request seeks an appreciable number of Service Codes (e.g. more than five)."

The IANA should feel free to contact the DCCP Expert Reviewer with 
questions on any registry, regardless of the registry policy, for 
clarification or if there is a problem with a request [RFC4340].

A.2. DCCP Port Numbers Registry

The DCCP ports registry is defined by RFC4340 in section 19.9. 
Allocations in this registry require prior allocation of a Service Code. 
  Not all Service Codes require IANA-registered ports. This document 
updates RFC4340 in the following way:

o    "IANA should normally assign a value in the range 1024-49151 to a 
DCCP server port. IANA allocation requests to allocate port numbers in 
the Well Known Ports range (0 through 1023), require IETF Action prior 
to allocation by IANA [RFC4340]."

RFC4340 requires each DCCP server port assignment to be associated with 
at least one Service Code value. This document updates RFC4340 in the 
following way:

o    "IANA MUST NOT allocate a single Service Code value to more than 
one DCCP server port.
o    The set of Service Code values associated with a DCCP server port 
should be recorded in the ports registry.
o    A request for additional Service Codes to be associated with an 
already allocated Port Number requires Expert Review. These requests 
will normally be accepted when they originate from the contact 
associated with the port registration. In other cases, these 
applications will be expected to use an unallocated port, when this is 
available."

RFC 4340 notes that a short port name MUST be associated with each DCCP 
server port that has been registered. This name MUST be unique [ID.IANA].

--

The University of Aberdeen is a charity registered in Scotland, No SC013683.

_______________________________________________
Port-srv-reg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/port-srv-reg