Subject: Re: [port-srv-reg] draft-jennings-http-srv-00

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 17:24:28 +0300

On 2008-7-7, at 16:50, ext Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Also, why isn't there an IANA registry of SRV service types? The  
> port numbers registry is not sufficient.

FYI, some transport folks have started to bring the documented IANA  
ports guidelines in line with reality. (Watch for draft-ietf-tsvwg- 
iana-ports-00 later today.)

Part of that effort is to finally move the SRV registry over to IANA,  
but that hasn't happened yet. But it's on the to-do list.

Lars
_______________________________________________
Port-srv-reg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/port-srv-reg

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 16:41:50 +0200

> >port numbers registry is not sufficient.

we've had this topic in DNSOP more than once when it came to review of
documents trying to make use of SRV.  There is no registry and RFC 2782
has the Applicability Statement for a reason.  Ironically, during the
processing of RFC 2782 the use of http as an example was carefully avoided.

> but that hasn't happened yet. But it's on the to-do list.

There are a couple of DNS caveats, including, but not limited to, "backwards
compatibility" issues especially in those cases where SRV is retroactively
introduced for existing services.  I'm looking forward to the draft you
mentioned.

-Peter

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 08:08:27 -0700

> > Part of that effort is to finally move the SRV registry 
> > over to IANA, but that hasn't happened yet.  But it's on 
> > the to-do list.
> 
> There are a couple of DNS caveats, including, but not limited 
> to, "backwards compatibility" issues especially in those cases 
> where SRV is retroactively introduced for existing services. 

Like when MX was introduced.  HTTP, at least, would be easier,
as an HTTP redirect can point 'legacy' clients towards the 
correct resource.  Such redirection was not possible with SMTP.

Safari has experience with SRV queries; we should ask Stuart
Cheshire (who is now on the IAB) to share their experiences.

-d

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 11:13:32 -0400

Hi Dan,

> Cheshire (who is now on the IAB) to share their experiences.

Take a look at the http and https definitions at 
<http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html> which I think is fairly 
representative of what is going on. But these discussions should definitely 
involve Stuart too.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo