Subject: Re: [port-srv-reg] Question about XML ports registry

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:58:31 -0700

All,

Resending this message.
I have some folks waiting on the conversion of the ports registry.
We have the newer format available at the below link.

Any guidance on how we can move forward with this xml registry?

I'd like to get this one going as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Michelle

On 9/3/08 2:43 PM, "Michelle Cotton" <[email-masked]> wrote:

All,

I'd like to continue with the work to XML'ize the port numbers registry.
The latest draft can be found at the following:
See:  http://www.viagenie.ca/ianaxml/port-numbers.xhtml

At a meeting in Dublin, we talked about removing the zero from the spr-itunes registration, however that would mean breaking the schema as right now the schema says that port number are mandatory.  We talked about breaking this registration out...and also combining with service names....

What do we need to do at this point?

Thanks,

Michelle
_______________________________________________
Port-srv-reg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/port-srv-reg

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:14:58 +0200

Hi,

I think we should break out the protocol and port less service names
into its own category. With the division currently available having
those under any of the existing headings doesn't make sense. And I do
think they should be clearly included in relation to the others. That
part will also grow the minute you import Stuart's registry.

I also see that you haven't encoded the DCCP ports that has service
codes correctly into the service code column.

Cheers

Magnus

Michelle Cotton skrev:
> I’d like to get this one going as soon as possible.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Michelle
> 
> 
> 
>     I’d like to continue with the work to XML’ize the port numbers registry.
>     At a meeting in Dublin, we talked about removing the zero from the
>     spr-itunes registration, however that would mean breaking the schema
>     as right now the schema says that port number are mandatory.  We
>     talked about breaking this registration out...and also combining
>     with service names....
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Färögatan 6                | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Port-srv-reg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/port-srv-reg

---

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:59:54 -0700

Thanks Magnus for the response.

OK, so looking at this http://www.viagenie.ca/ianaxml/port-numbers.xhtml, what exactly do we need to do?
I need to get exact instructions....

 1.  When you say break out the protocol and port less service names into its own category, do you mean a new registry at a separate location or something else.  Whatever we decide I believe this is where Stuart's registry goes as well, is that correct?
 2.  Get the DCCP service code information from Gorry?

If we do the above, can we go ahead and publish the new version of the registry?

I'm just trying to get clear guidance here so that I can get this going....

Thanks,

Michelle

On 10/14/08 8:14 AM, "Magnus Westerlund" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi,

Cheers

Magnus

--

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:25:52 +0200

Hi Michelle and Stuart

I think we need some help from Stuart here to write a short description
of service names. In fact I think we need to make some progress on the
open issues in general around service names and their allocation.

Michelle Cotton skrev:
> OK, so looking at this
> http://www.viagenie.ca/ianaxml/port-numbers.xhtml, what exactly do we
> need to do?
>    1. When you say break out the protocol and port less service names
>       into its own category, do you mean a new registry at a separate
>       location or something else.  Whatever we decide I believe this is
>       where Stuart’s registry goes as well, is that correct?

Start with renaming page to Service Names and Port Numbers (top title)

Today after the description you have:

Registries included below
    * WELL KNOWN PORT NUMBERS
    * REGISTERED PORT NUMBERS
    * DYNAMIC AND/OR PRIVATE PORTS

I would include a fourth category:

"Service Names without assigned Port Numbers" first of all.

Then include its own section:

Service Names (bold)

Description
     [Needs to be written]

Then a table using the same format as for ports but with entries that
doesn't contain port number or protocol.

Yes, this would be the place to incorporate the entries from Stuart's
registry:
http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html

We also have the question on what to do with the entries at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names

But that I think can wait for the larger shake out of this whole.

> If we do the above, can we go ahead and publish the new version of the

There are entry that already today have the service code information in
the description field, namely discard. I think there should be more that
comes from approved RFC's like the RTP ones.

But Gorry can clearly fill you in on this.

> 
> I’m just trying to get clear guidance here so that I can get this going....
> 

Understood.

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:09:46 -0700

Please see the following:

http://www.viagenie.ca/ianaxml/port-numbers.xhtml

We have followed Magnus' suggestions and now have a little more to work with.
I need more DCCP service code information (if there is any).  We included the service code for discard.
Gorry, please check it.  We will also need that paragraph from Stuart.  Is the link to the list to the service names that Stuart has current?
Also, what are we going to do about what appears here:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names

We also need to add in the "unauthorized use" of ports.  Joe had some ideas about this.

Please take a look and let's keep this going!  Anyone up for a call before Minneapolis?
If everyone is too busy, how about scheduling a meeting in Minneapolis to get through some more of this ports work so we can get it done?

Thanks,

Michelle

On 10/15/08 1:25 AM, "Magnus Westerlund" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Michelle and Stuart

Michelle Cotton skrev:
>       where Stuart's registry goes as well, is that correct?

Service Names (bold)

Description
     [Needs to be written]

Understood.

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:57:42 +0100 (BST)

ACK.

I will take this as an action!

Gorry

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:20:24 +0200

Michelle Cotton skrev:
> We have followed Magnus’ suggestions and now have a little more to work
> with.
> Gorry, please check it.  We will also need that paragraph from Stuart.
>  Is the link to the list to the service names that Stuart has current?
> We also need to add in the “unauthorized use” of ports.  Joe had some
> ideas about this.
> 
> Please take a look and let’s keep this going!  Anyone up for a call
> before Minneapolis?
> If everyone is too busy, how about scheduling a meeting in Minneapolis
> to get through some more of this ports work so we can get it done?
> 

The initial description needs some edits. First adding something about
service name and remove the sentence: "A value of 0 in the port numbers
registry below indicates that no port has been allocated."

Otherwise it looks quite good.

One question: Should the service code field exist for the service name
registry?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:08:47 -0400

> registry below indicates that no port has been allocated."

Can't we just leave the field empty then?

Lars

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:06:48 -0400

Some more nits:

some contact information is in the references column, e.g., [Rina  
Nethaniel]

for SCTP entries, the references column has currently both the RFC and  
the contact while the contact column is empty

for SCTP entries, the contact's email isn't extracted and shown in the  
people column

is there any reason why contact names have underscores and are inside  
brackets? (for references, I somewhat get it, although I don't think  
it's useful there either)

can we capitalize protocol names?

why is the table heading row repeated every so often? isn't there an  
HTML way of making it stick when you scroll down?

the table would be less busy if text that is repeated in subsequent  
lines was omitted. i.e. change this:

------------------------------------------------------------
tcpmux      1 tcp TCP Port Service Multiplexer [Mark_Lottor]
tcpmux      1 udp TCP Port Service Multiplexer [Mark_Lottor]
------------------------------------------------------------
compressnet 2 tcp Management Utility
compressnet 2 udp Management Utility
------------------------------------------------------------
compressnet 3 tcp Compression Process          [Bernie_Volz]
compressnet 3 udp Compression Process          [Bernie_Volz]
------------------------------------------------------------

to:

------------------------------------------------------------
tcpmux      1 tcp TCP Port Service Multiplexer [Mark_Lottor]
               udp
------------------------------------------------------------
compressnet 2 tcp Management Utility
               udp
             3 tcp Compression Process          [Bernie_Volz]
               udp
------------------------------------------------------------

I believe it'd look better in the table than here in ASCII. You could  
also subtly alternate the background between rows.

Lars

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 03:51:50 +0100

> Some more nits:
<snip>

> lines was omitted. i.e. change this:

I see what Lars means, but I kind of liked the idea of being able to 
scrape the line from the page for either udp or tcp... and then even 
post process in an editor. Lars' suggestion would make this hard.

- Just an idea:
I wonder if the two concepts would work together, could we set the 
background colour for UDP to be subtley different to TCP, STP, DCCP. 
That would both ease reading and make repetitive entries easier for the 
eye to skip?

Gorry

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:31:40 -0700

Hi, Michelle,

I would prefer if the protocols were their own columns, i.e., so that a
single row would indicate all protocols that use a service. It's more
meaningful to me at least that way...

Joe

Michelle Cotton wrote:
> spr-itunes registration, however that would mean breaking the schema as
> right now the schema says that port number are mandatory.  We talked
> about breaking this registration out...and also combining with service
> names....
>

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:40:11 +0000

I'm not so sure...

If we did this, I'd need help to see two things:

How we would we include the references and contacts in this layout?

How would you allow DCCP to be allocated multiple service codes for the 
same port - each with a related definition documents

Gorry

Joe Touch wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> Hi, Michelle,
> 
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (MingW32)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
> 
> iEYEARECAAYFAkkF+vsACgkQE5f5cImnZrvY4gCbBuYasHspHVHvmuoLTO6fl1jF
> nPQAn373vWhItPXhfo1lJ55Lk6D4+zut
> =j28/
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:53:01 -0700

> How we would we include the references and contacts in this layout?

One line per service; just put a col for each of TCP, UDP, and DCCP

> same port - each with a related definition documents

Hmmm. Overall, I'd suggest putting the list of service codes in the DCCP
column, and having a separate table that maps DCCP service codes to
definition documents - or a "sub table" (i.e., put extra rows only in
the DCCP field).

Joe

>>>> Id like to continue with the work to XMLize the port numbers registry.

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:03:07 +0000

I am expecting if you go this way you'd also have a column for SCTP.

I see this style as a matrix, rather than a list, and I guess I'm more 
used to using lists, but we could see how this works?

Gorry

Joe Touch wrote:
> iEYEARECAAYFAkkGG/oACgkQE5f5cImnZrsK5QCfWlMaTlVvKdPkA7U5Mr0dvipx
> BJoAoJdlkMfAMlAcEN/kIHTQLQ75NgHo
> =ReLQ

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:30:39 -0700

> I am expecting if you go this way you'd also have a column for SCTP.

Yes.

> used to using lists, but we could see how this works?

I'll check with Michelle tomorrow to see the effort involved...

Joe

---

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:02:54 -0700

Hello everyone!

We need to have a meeting in Minneapolis to discuss a few items.

1. Port procedures document (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-00.txt)
2. Companion document
3. The ports and service name registry structure
Revisions to:  http://www.viagenie.ca/ianaxml/port-numbers.xhtml
4. Other agenda items??

I'm not sure what everyone's schedule is looking like with the agenda not being final, however how would Tuesday Lunch work for everyone?
We could reserve the IESG breakout room and everyone could bring in their own lunch.

Thoughts or other suggestions?  Are folks available?

Thank you,

Michelle
IANA

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:17:52 +0200

On 2008-10-29, at 20:02, ext Michelle Cotton wrote:
> however how would Tuesday Lunch work for everyone?

Works for me. I'll put in the reservation just in case.

Lars

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:24:01 +0100

> Hello everyone!
  Are folks available?

Works for me.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 06:48:49 -0700

Works for me too.

Joe

Michelle Cotton wrote:
> 1. Port procedures document
> (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-00.txt)
> 2. Companion document
> Revisions to:  _http://www.viagenie.ca/ianaxml/port-numbers.xhtml
> _4. Other agenda items??
> 
> I’m not sure what everyone’s schedule is looking like with the agenda
> not being final, however how would Tuesday Lunch work for everyone?
> IANA_
> _

---

From: Ted Faber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:53:26 -0700

> Works for me. I'll put in the reservation just in case.

I won't be at the IETF.

-- 
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc
Unexpected attachment on this mail? See http://www.isi.edu/~faber/FAQ.html#SIG
_______________________________________________
Port-srv-reg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/port-srv-reg