Subject: [port-srv-reg] Editing draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports.xml

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:05:11 -0800

I found working on draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports.xml harder than it  
really should have been.

When comparing the differences to see what changed, I found lots of  
"noise" changes that make no difference to the final output, but make  
it a lot harder to see what's changed in the source.

For example, a bunch of paragraphs had been rewrapped to a different  
line lengths, which makes no difference to the output, but does show  
up as spurious differences in the XML source.

A bunch of compact references I wrote of the form "<xref  
target="RFC2782"/>" had been expanded into empty tag pairs of the  
form "<xref target="RFC2782"></xref>". Can anyone explain why that  
change was made?

Anyway, I've got the XML source reasonably tidied up now. A request  
to others working on this document: Try to minimize unnecessary  
textual changes that don't affect the output. For example, if you  
need to delete just one word, then if you delete just that one word  
then it shows up as a one-line change. If you delete just that one  
word and re-wrap the whole paragraph, then it shows up as a whole  
paragraph of changes, and it's much less clear that it was just a one- 
word change.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
* Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Inc.
* Internet Architecture Board
* www.stuartcheshire.org

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:40:09 +0200

I think this is because Magnus is using XMLmind instead of editing the XML manually.

On 2009-11-19, at 8:05, Stuart Cheshire wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Port-srv-reg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/port-srv-reg

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:35:14 +0100

> I think this is because Magnus is using XMLmind instead of editing the XML manually.

Yes, XMLmind seems to do rewrap on save. I will check if I can disable
that.

I also think the tag change might be XMLmind that has its view on how
the tags should be saved.

I don't look at the diff of the XML file itself normally. I do create a
diff off the resulting text which in most cases is what I am interested in.

I can try to avoid using XMLmind if I edit this draft.

/Magnus

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------