Subject: [port-srv-reg] almost good to go

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:24:54 +0100

Hi,

I read through the current svn version and am happy with it. We should submit it once the alias discussion has been resolved.

Lars

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:13:10 +0200

> I read through the current svn version and am happy with it. We should submit it once the alias discussion has been resolved.

I do have a few comments on the document. I hope to get them in later
today.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:45:58 +0300

On 2010-9-16, at 19:40, Joe Touch wrote:
> can you send the txt?

Text for svn rev 69 attached, plus a diff against -06.

Lars

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:11:56 -0700

Some changes:

- to avoid confusion between Registered (user) and system port numbers, 
I suggest using the term "assignment" for the process IANA performs 
(this is consistent, FWIW, with the IANA acronym)

- I corrected the use of admin contact/tech contact use throughout

- I replaced alias with overloading and corrected the text
We do have some cases where multiple names map to the same number, so 
there is aliasing, but we do not have a case where one string ever maps 
to another string (which is what I would consider an alias). I replaced 
this with 'overloading', which is the more accurate CS term for what is 
happening.

- corrected the ABNF, and simply indicated that it was provided as a 
non-normative convenience

I'd be glad to put this into the XML if needed (I haven't been able to 
check it out, though - if someone can mail it to me, I'll do the changes 
over the weekend).

Joe

---

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:39:06 -0700

I have to review the changes you made to the admin contact/tech contact use as I'm not sure I will agree with them.
I had a conversation with Russ Housley today about that language as we are going to be using it in other registries.

I'll get feedback to you all by Monday.

Thanks,

Michelle

On 9/17/10 2:11 PM, "Joe Touch" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Some changes:

Joe

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:44:17 -0700

On 9/17/2010 2:39 PM, Michelle Cotton wrote:
> nges you made to the admin contact/tech contact use as I’m not sure I
> will agree with them.
> I had a conversation with Russ Housley today about that language as we
> are going to be using it in other registries.
>
> I’ll get feedback to you all by Monday.

AOK - whatever we use, needs to be consistent throughout (the current 
text had registrant/contact, but then later had admin/tech contact)

I am also concerned about a name for the process - whether it's 
"registration" or "assignment". I prefer the latter.

Joe

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:14:38 -0700

PS - replace "proscribe" with "prescribe". My spell checker was over-eager.

Joe

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:00:23 +0300

> check it out, though - if someone can mail it to me, I'll do the changes

download from https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/area/tsv/draft-cotton-tsvwg-iana-ports

(That is also the URL to use for a "svn checkout")

Lars

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:21:20 -0700

Thanks.

Attached is an update that

- fixes the ABNF
- fixes the alias issue
- fixes the admin contact/tech contact misuse
	currently uses Registrant/Contact, as per the bulk of the doc

IMO, it's still useful to consider, throughout, the following change 
(which I left out of this version):

	Registrant -> Assignee
	Contact ->
	registration -> assignment

Joe

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:11:20 +0300

> Attached is an update that

Committed to svn as rev 70.

Lars