Subject: [port-srv-reg] Please review: (Revised) Application for User (Registered) Service Name and Port Number

From: Pearl Liang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 15:21:19 -0700

Hello All,

Below is the revised Application for Service Name and Port Number form
with feedback I have received so far.  Please feel free to edit as needed
and provide your feedback.

Thank you,
~pl

###########

TITLE: Application for User (Registered) Service Name and Port Number

The User (Registered) Ports are those from 1024 through 49151. (See
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers. (/* internal comment: this
URL will change to the later merged registry of port number and
service name.)

* UNASSIGNED PORT NUMBERS SHOULD NOT BE USED.  THE IANA WILL ASSIGN *
* THE NUMBER FOR THE PORT AFTER YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN APPROVED. *

Please fill in the below application as required by RFCXXXX.
If you require more than one port number, please submit separate templates.

Assignee Name (REQUIRED): _______________________________
Assignee E-mail (REQUIRED): _______________________________
Contact Name (REQUIRED) _______________________________
Contact E-mail (REQUIRED) _______________________________
See RFCXXXX section 8.1

Transport Protocol(s) (REQUIRED): (Please check one(s) that is
currently applied.)
[  ] TCP 	[  ] UDP	[  ] SCTP	[  ] DCCP

Service Code (REQUIRED for DCCP only)
Please see RFCXXXX section 10.3 and RFC4340 section 8.1.2

____________________________

Service Name (REQUIRED, 15 Character): See RFCXXX section 5.1

____________________________
See FAQs below.

Description Name (REQUIRED) (For example: Super User Messaging)
See FAQs below.

________________________________________________________________

Reference (REQUIRED): Please provide a brief and basic technical
description including message formats, types, sequences,
functionalities, of your  protocol. Please also address the specific
questions to the extent possible.

________________________________________________________________
  
________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________
  
________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________

Q: If broadcast/multicast is used, how and what for?

______________________________________________________________

Q: If UDP is requested, please explain how traffic is limited, and
whether the protocol reacts to congestion.

_______________________________________________________________

Q: If UDP is requested, please indicate whether the service is solely
for the discovery of hosts supporting this protocol.

_______________________________________________________________

Q: Please explain how your protocol supports versioning.

_______________________________________________________________

Q: If your request is for more than one transport, please explain in
detail how the protocol differs over each transport.

_______________________________________________________________

Q: Please describe how your protocol supports security. Please note that
there is current debate as to whether additional future ports will be
allocated for newly assigned services that lack security, e.g., solely
for the addition of a secure variant. Applicants are strongly advised to
address this issue as early as possible in the design of their protocols.

________________________________________________________________

Q: Please explain the state of development of your protocol.

________________________________________________________________

Please provide any other information that would be helpful in
understanding how this protocol differs from existing assigned services.

________________________________________________________________

IF SCTP is requested, please describe the following: Is there an
existing TCP and/or UDP?
If so, please indicate the details below:

Port number: _______________; Service Name: _______________

What specific SCTP capability is used by the application such that an
user who has the choice of both TCP (and/or UDP) and SCTP ports for
this application would choose SCTP? See RFC4960 section 7.1
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4960#section-7.1)

__________________________________________________________________
  
__________________________________________________________________

Desired Port Number (OPTIONAL)

__________________________________________

NOTE: It is inappropriate to use a port number until your application has
been approved for assignment.  Leave it blank if no number preference.

*********
FAQs:

* User ports allocations require ³Expert Review² procedure as described
in [RFC5226] because User ports are a scarce resource.  This is
described in RFCXXX section 8.1.2

* Assignment of a port number does not in any way imply an endorsement of
an application or product, and the fact that network traffic is flowing to
or from a registered port does not mean that it is "good" traffic.
Firewall and system administrators should choose how to configure their
systems based on their knowledge of the traffic in question, and any other
relevant criteria.

* Please note that a particular application or service should be able
to operate only one registered user port number. For applications or
services that offer multiple functions it is usually possible to use
one port as a multiplexer or rendezvous service. That is, the client
always initiates the use of a service by contacting the rendezvous
port and indicating in its first message which function is needed.
The rendezvous service then either (A) creates (forks, spawns) a
process to perform that function and passes the connection to it; or
(B) dynamically selects a (high-numbered) port and starts a process
to perform the function listening on that port and sends a message
back to the client telling it to call the new process on that port.

* Assignee Name:
The Assignee is the organization, company or individual person responsible
for the initial assignment.  For assignments done through RFCs published
via the "IETF Document Stream" [RFC4844], the Assignee will be the IESG
<[email-masked]>.  See RFCXXXX section 8.1

* Contact Name:
The Contact person is the responsible person for the Internet community to
send questions  to.  This person is also authorized to submit changes on
behalf of the Assignee; in cases of conflict between the Assignee and the
Contact, the Assignee decisions take precedence.  For assignments done
through RFCs published via the "IETF Document Stream" [RFC4844], the
Contact will be the IETF Chair <[email-masked]>.  See RFCXXXX section 8.1

* Service Name and Description Name:
Please avoid the terms and acronyms referring to "service" and "protocol",
as these are implied for all assignments. Please also avoid
version-specific
information, as new assignments are expected to be version-independent.

###

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 08:33:58 +0300

On 2011-5-16, at 1:21, Pearl Liang wrote:
> * UNASSIGNED

SERVICE NAMES AND

> PORT NUMBERS SHOULD NOT BE USED.  THE IANA WILL ASSIGN *
> * THE

SERVICE NAME AND OPTIONALLY A

> NUMBER FOR THE PORT AFTER YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN APPROVED. *
> 
> If you require more than one

service name or

> port number, please submit separate templates.
> 
> 

s/Description Name/Short Description/

> description

of the protocol that will use the service name or port number,

> including message formats, types, sequences,

Sentence misses a subject?

> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4960#section-7.1)

How do you handle requests for ONLY a service name? The port number will then also be blank.

> _______________________________________________
> Port-srv-reg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/port-srv-reg

---

From: Pearl Liang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 08:44:46 -0700

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.  I'll include Lars's comments in the template
forms.  

Allison, can you help to formulate questions to request an SCTP port and
to update an existing SCTP port record?

Thank you,
~pl

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 22:33:58 -0700
To: pearl liang <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [port-srv-reg] Please review: (Revised) Application for User
(Registered) Service Name and Port Number