Subject: Re: ppp multiplexing over p-to-p links

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 09:46:29 -0600 (MDT)

> From: "Karl Fox" <[email-masked]>

> > > >when a ras is connected to an isp router over a point-to-point link such
> > > >as a tdm circuit or an atm or fr vc, using l2tp for multiplexing several
> > > >ppp sessions over this link seems like a big overkill.  has there been
> > > >any discussion on defining a simple ppp multiplexing protocol for that
> > > >purpose?  what would be the arguments for not doing so?

> ...
> >Why would you use L2TP?  Why not the old standby of IP encapsulated in
> >the old familiar ways in ATM or FR circuits?
>
> Oh.  Of course, that would be simpler.  I was assuming a single VC was all 
> that was available.

As some salescritters like to shout, "We Have The Technology" to run
IP over single VC's.  If you don't like the classic x.25 scheme, you could
always run a single TCP/IP connnection over that single ATM or FR VC in
the modern mode, and in that TCP stream just happen to have PPP, as in
IP/PPP/{rlogin,telnet,SSH}/TCP/IP/{ATM,FR}

Common PPP implementations are intended to and do work just fine in
rlogin or telnet.  It is a little perverse and not especially efficient,
but it works.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]