Subject: Re: [Pppext] I-D Action:draft-hu-pppext-ipv6cp-requirements-00.txt

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:48:06 -0400

> 	Title           : PPPv6 Problem statement and requirements
> 	Author(s)       : J. Hu, et al.
> 	Filename        : draft-hu-pppext-ipv6cp-requirements-00.txt

I've read this draft, and I have a few initial fairly high-level
questions about it before offering any detailed comments.  (And since
the second draft appears to depend on the first, it seems that this one
is the right place to start.)

1.  The "Problem Statement" contains many assertions about problems
    with the design and use of IPv6CP.  But there are many known and
    interoperable implementations available today.  Are these newly
    discovered problems?  And do any of the existing implementations
    suffer from them?  (In other words: "what problems need to be
    fixed?")

2.  Many of the issues raised are not specifically related to PPP,
    and are issues any time you have an IPv6 link over any datalink
    medium, and when used in a particular type of deployment.  Why
    are the solutions specific to IPv6CP and not general in nature?

3.  Have you read through the working group archives?  Many of these
    issues have been addressed over the years -- some of them more
    than once.  In particular, there's established working group
    consensus that the results of RFC 1877 should not be replicated
    for IPv6.

-- 
James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <[email-masked]>

---

From: Ignacio Goyret <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:57:35 -0700

FWIW, I agree with James' statements/questions.
-Ignacio Goyret

At 02:48 PM 10/18/2010 -0400, James Carlson wrote:
>_______________________________________________
>Pppext mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pppext