Subject: [ppsp] Protocol Action: 'Peer-to-Peer Streaming Peer Protocol (PPSPP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:00:06 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Peer-to-Peer Streaming Peer Protocol (PPSPP)'
  (draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Peer to Peer Streaming Protocol
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol/

Technical Summary

   The Peer-to-Peer Streaming Peer Protocol (PPSPP) is a protocol for
   disseminating the same content to a group of interested parties in a
   streaming fashion.  PPSPP supports streaming of both pre-recorded
   (on-demand) and live audio/video content.  It is based on the peer-
   to-peer paradigm, where clients consuming the content are put on
   equal footing with the servers initially providing the content, to
   create a system where everyone can potentially provide upload
   bandwidth.  It has been designed to provide short time-till-playback
   for the end user, and to prevent disruption of the streams by
   malicious peers.  PPSPP has also been designed to be flexible and
   extensible.  It can use different mechanisms to optimize peer
   uploading, prevent freeriding, and work with different peer discovery
   schemes (centralized trackers or Distributed Hash Tables).  It
   supports multiple methods for content integrity protection and chunk
   addressing.  Designed as a generic protocol that can run on top of
   various transport protocols, it currently runs on top of UDP using
   LEDBAT for congestion control.

Working Group Summary

  There were several issues raised during WGLC; however, none were
   particularly rough and authors came up with the text that resolves these
   issues thus consensus was achieved in all cases. After that, some
   technical comments were made during the AD review and all were
   addressed and accepted with consensus.

Document Quality

   This draft has some implementations and evaluations in the lab. It is
    expected that with the approval of this document the number of
    implementations will increase. During the WGLC, this draft has been deep
    reviewed by Riccardo Bernardini and Yunfei Zhang. The issues of protocol
    versioning and guideline absence on when to declare a peer dead are
    addressed.  The AD found some high level issues which have been already
    solved. One issue is that PPSPP as a Standards Track protocol cannot
    normatively rely on LEDBAT which is an Experimental congestion control
    mechanism. The problem is solved by having measurements and
    deployment results that show the widespread use of LEDBAT in current
    P2P systems and towards a DOWNREF procedure.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Rachel Huang
   Responsible AD: Martin Stiemerling