Subject: [precis] draft of xmpp-i18n slides

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:24:22 -0600

I've created a draft of my slides for the internationalization topic on
the agenda for the XMPP WG at IETF 80. I will also present these at the
PRECIS WG (except that I'll skip the "recap" slides for that audience).
For details, see draft-saintandre-xmpp-i18n-03. Feedback is welcome.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 21:15:55 +0000

I read the draft and the slides.  Two quick comments:

* I like the idea of précis defining *things and letting protocols profile them.
   The actual details of each definition may need some tweaking though to
   make sure they're widely usable, not just XMPP specific.

* On the use of NFD, the argument made in the slides/draft is basically that
   NFD optimizes for CPU on servers.   While that may be what is most
   appropriate for XMPP, it doesn't mean that there aren't other environments
   that may need to optimize for, say, bandwidth at the expense of CPU.
   So even if the *things are defined as say NFD, a profile should be able to
   do recomposition on the result (or any other means of compression for that
   matter).

-Dave

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Peter Saint-Andre
> Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 7:24 PM
> To: XMPP; [email-masked]
> Subject: [precis] draft of xmpp-i18n slides
> 
> I've created a draft of my slides for the internationalization topic on the
> agenda for the XMPP WG at IETF 80. I will also present these at the PRECIS
> WG (except that I'll skip the "recap" slides for that audience).

---

From: Joe Hildebrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 23:25:25 +0200

On 3/27/11 11:15 PM, "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> * I like the idea of précis defining *things and letting protocols
> profile them. The actual details of each definition may need some
> tweaking though to make sure they're widely usable, not just XMPP
> specific.

That seems reasonable.  It would be cool if we could come up with some base
profiles that are a good starting point for everyone, and then have some
optional bits to turn on.  Example: case folding for nameythings.

> * On the use of NFD, the argument made in the slides/draft is
> basically that NFD optimizes for CPU on servers.  While that may be
> what is most appropriate for XMPP, it doesn't mean that there aren't
> other environments that may need to optimize for, say, bandwidth at
> the expense of CPU.  So even if the *things are defined as say NFD,
> a profile should be able to do recomposition on the result (or any
> other means of compression for that matter).

Doing NFC seems like a really weak compression scheme for many sets of
protocol elements, but I understand your point.  Another place recomposition
might be useful is older font renderers that do an inadequate job with
combining characters, but that can render the composited versions.
Hopefully, those either don't exist or are being quickly replaced with
adequate code, but thought I'd mention it for completeness.

-- 
Joe Hildebrand