Subject: [precis] RFC 6885 on Stringprep Revision and Problem Statement for the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings (PRECIS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:45:51 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6885

        Title:      Stringprep Revision and Problem Statement 
                    for the Preparation and Comparison of 
                    Internationalized Strings (PRECIS) 
        Author:     M. Blanchet, A. Sullivan
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 72167
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6885.txt

If a protocol expects to compare two strings and is prepared only for
those strings to be ASCII, then using Unicode code points in those
strings requires they be prepared somehow.  Internationalizing Domain
Names in Applications (here called IDNA2003) defined and used
Stringprep and Nameprep.  Other protocols subsequently defined
Stringprep profiles.  A new approach different from Stringprep and
Nameprep is used for a revision of IDNA2003 (called IDNA2008).  Other
Stringprep profiles need to be similarly updated, or a replacement of
Stringprep needs to be designed.  This document outlines the issues
to be faced by those designing a Stringprep replacement.

This document is a product of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: Yoshiro YONEYA <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 05:05:11 +0900

We've achieved the first RFC!
Appreciate co-authors' and WG members' hard work.

Regards,

-- 
Yoshiro YONEYA <[email-masked]>

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:45:51 -0700 (PDT) [email-masked] wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> precis mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/precis
> 
>

---

From: "Matt Miller (mamille2)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:07:24 +0000

> Appreciate co-authors' and WG members' hard work.

/me cheers

- m&m

Matt Miller < [email-masked] >
Cisco Systems, Inc.