Subject: [precis] I-D Action: draft-ietf-precis-mappings-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 03:07:06 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Mapping characters for PRECIS classes
        Authors         : Yoshiro YONEYA
                          Takahiro Nemoto
	Filename        : draft-ietf-precis-mappings-11.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2015-07-06

Abstract:
   The framework for preparation, enforcement, and comparison of
   internationalized strings ("PRECIS") defines several classes of
   strings for use in application protocols.  Because many protocols
   perform case-sensitive or case-insensitive string comparison, it
   necessary to define methods for case mapping.  In addition, both the
   Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (IDNA) and the PRECIS
   problem statement describe mappings for internationalized strings
   that are not limited to case, but include width mapping and mapping
   of delimiters and other special characters that can be taken into
   consideration.  This document provides guidelines for designers of
   PRECIS profiles and describes several mappings that can be applied
   between receiving user input and passing permitted code points to
   internationalized protocols.  In particular, this document describes
   both locale-dependent and context-depending case mappings as well as
   additional mappings for delimiters and special characters.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-mappings/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-precis-mappings-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-precis-mappings-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Takahiro Nemoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 16:23:56 +0900

Dear all, 

Yoneya-san and I submitted the latest version of precis mappings document.
We modified the document to address feedback from Peter-san. Thank you very much, Peter-san.
Please let me know if you have any questions and comments.
Your feedbacks will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nemo

> 転送されたメッセージ：
> 
> 差出人: [email-masked]
> 件名: [precis] I-D Action: draft-ietf-precis-mappings-11.txt
> 日付: 2015年7月6日 19:07:06 JST
> 宛先: <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked]
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> precis mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/precis

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:27:40 -0600

Thanks, Nemo!

Your changes look good to me.

What do you think about my suggestion to change "local case mapping" to 
"alternative case mapping"? See here:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/precis/t0NsOdHCp_V_zfgMamOqEW6vBMY

I still feel that the word "local" might be confusing in several ways.

Peter

---

From: Takahiro Nemoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 17:46:21 +0900

Hi Peter-san,

Thank you for taking your time to review the mappings document.
We, co-authors, are thinking the name change is fine, but our concern 
is that the name change will cause influence to RFC 7564 (framework) 
wording because it uses "local case mapping" already.

If we change the name, is it helpful to append remarks such as:

alternative case mapping (note that this mapping was formerly 
called "local case mapping", but changed to avoid confusion)

Regards,

Nemo

> 2015/07/08 0:27、Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]> のメール：
> 
> Thanks, Nemo!
> 
> What do you think about my suggestion to change "local case mapping" to "alternative case mapping"? See here:
>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 07:18:11 -0600

Ah, you are right. Thus I think it is better not to change the name. 

Peter

Sent from mobile, might be terse 

> On Jul 8, 2015, at 2:46 AM, Takahiro Nemoto <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Peter-san,
>