Subject: Re: PWG-ANNOUNCE> Future work of the PWG

From: Ira Mcdonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:14:14 -0400

Hi Don and Jay,

OK - I'll bite.  What does the fact that the platform happens
to be Linux have to do with how printing works?

And although I've often urged telecons for those not present
at PWG monthly meetings, I've finally abandoned the idea -
because while good conference phones exist they *never* seem
to be in place in the PWG meeting room - so everyone out on
the net can hear each other just fine and spends the whole
time trying to figure out what anyone in the PWG meeting
room is saying.

But I'm glad to hear you folks plan to have a 'brainstorming'
session in September.  The idea is good.  It's the execution
that could use some creative and *practical* ideas (an example
of an *impractical* idea is for everyone active in the PWG
to agree on one piece of collaborative software and then
throw away any of their own systems or operating systems
that don't fit it, just for the ephemeral benefits of
'electronic collaboration' - my opinion, of course).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc
  906-494-2697/2434 (home/office)

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:27:01 -0400

> to be Linux have to do with how printing works?

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the emphasis on Linux is
because:

    1. Linux seems to be the up-and-coming UNIX operating system.
    2. Most printer vendors want to support Linux now or in the
       future, at least for Intel platforms.
    3. The current state of printing under Linux is awful.  We've
       got some stuff that will hopefully change that (using IPP
       no less! :), and I'm putting together materials for a
       presentation in Denver (on-line copies for those that can't
       attend...)

-- 
______________________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  [email-masked]
Printing Software for UNIX                       http://www.easysw.com
   "I do software development for Linux; where's my sledgehammer?"

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:28:11 -0400

Ira,

> to be Linux have to do with how printing works?

Beg your pardon?  Is this a trick question?  ;)

I have absolutely no idea of how (or why) you've put those
two clauses together to make such a question.  All I said
was that I was particularly interested in the discussion
because UN*X (in the guise of Linux) would possibly be
discussed in its own right...which is something that has
not been done very well in the past.  That's all.

	...jay