Subject: Re: PWG-ANNOUNCE> Future work of the PWG

From: Ira Mcdonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:59:25 -0400

Hi Jay,

I put those two clauses together because Don's topic
was 'Linux Printing'.  I agree that addressing printing
from non-desktop operating systems is a *good idea*.

I also agree that Linux gets a lot of press these days,
but failed to see where the PWG had anything useful 
to contribute on Linux printing to the Linux developer
community.

I'm delighted to hear from Michael Sweet that their
CUPS system may address Linux (I think I got that
right?) in the future.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc
  906-494-2697/2434 (home/office)

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:02:04 -0500

>from non-desktop operating systems is a *good idea*.

Maybe extend that a bit to include printing from non-desktop devices as 
well...hand held's,  my cell phone.. palm based scanning devices like HP 
CapShare.. I know there has been some work in IrDA based interfaces to 
"point and print" but maybe the concept is more extensiable.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
eFAX Fax to EMail 815.333.1237 (Preferred for Fax)
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]
GSTN Fax 314.918.9015
MediaGate iPost VoiceMail and Fax 800.260.4464
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:36:32 -0400

Ira Mcdonald wrote:
> ...
> ...

The betas are already out, and we're be going to production release
(barring further problems) in two weeks (fingers crossed - so many
Linux distributions to deal with...)

CUPS is the free part (which is based on IPP).  ESP Print Pro adds
lots of printer drivers and the GUI client stuff.

-- 
______________________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  [email-masked]
Printing Software for UNIX                       http://www.easysw.com
   "I do software development for Linux; where's my sledgehammer?"

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:14:38 -0400

> "point and print" but maybe the concept is more extensiable.

Good thought, but perhaps appliance-like devices would be best
dealt with thru the P1394 group?

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:53:18 -0500

>dealt with thru the P1394 group?

Your probably right its ... those kind of folks that know more about this 
class of application ... but the thought would be printer abstraction layer 
that could be transported by a variety of means,  IrDA or whatever wireless 
like system happens to be in use. There are so many of these wireless 
schemes out there for both business and SOHO environments that this "point 
and print" system would have to be sufficiently primitive to allow for 
transport over all kinds of schemes.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC