Subject: PMP> RE: Final edits to Printer MIB v2 - fix broken names

From: "Elvers, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:27:44 -0500

Ira,

I am working on getting the enumeration descrepancies out today.

Mike

X                          
Mike Elvers
The Document Company Xerox
200 Crosskeys Office Park
M/S 815-000
Fairport, New York 14450
Phone:	716-425-6449
Intelnet: 	8*225-6449
Email:	mailto:[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: McDonald, Ira [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 1999 6:32 PM
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; McDonald, Ira; Whittle, Craig
Subject: Final edits to Printer MIB v2 - fix broken names

Hi Harry Lewis and PMP folks,

I've just learned from Ron Bergman (PMP chair) that the
IETF Host Resources MIB v2 is 'close' to moving forward
to IESG 'last call', after Steve Waldbusser's recent work.

BEFORE we send the final text of the Printer MIB v2 to the IESG,
I urge that we restore to original Printer MIB (RFC 1759) names:

1)  Several textual conventions originally from Printer MIB v1
    (RFC 1759), which were renamed with a 'Prt...' prefix
    - this breaks IMPORTS into other MIB modules; 

2)  Several enumeration labels originally from Printer MIB v1
    (RFC 1759), which were renamed, apparently for clarity
    - this breaks open management stations and client tools.

UNLESS the above corrections are made, it is IMPOSSIBLE to build
a hybrid device or client software implementation, which conforms 
simultaneously to both Printer MIB v1 and Printer MIB v2.

I don't have the detailed list here at the moment but Ron Bergman
(Hitachi/Koki) has encountered the renamed textual conventions
and Mike Elvers (Xerox) has encountered the renamed enumeration
labels - they CAN supply the short list of corrections to be
made.

If you are not an implementor, you may not realize how serious
the breakage is from these small name errors.  If you are an
implementor, you've already had to hand-edit the Printer MIB v2
text in order to proceed with your own development.  These are
NOT just hypothetical problems.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Sharp Labs America)
  High North Inc