Subject: PMP> RE: Final edits to Printer MIB v2 - fix broken names

From: "Elvers, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 11:20:37 -0500

I was finally able to complete the listing of enumeration changes between
version 1 and version 2 of the Printer MIB (RFC17659).  Please see the
listed items below.  I did this is textual mode for those of you who don't
have an appropriate email tool for handling attachments or enhanced text.
This list includes everything that is different between an enumeration that
existed in version 1 and the new definition in version 2.  I have not listed
new values or any unchanged old values.  I have listed the object that
defines the enumeration for clarity.

I am providing this information so the people are aware of the extent of the
changes that were made.  I am not suggesting all of these should not be
made.  In some cases, where spelling is the motivator, (as in the
PrtAlertGroupTC or PrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC values) I could see where
those kind of changes would be desirable.  However, in the cases where it is
simple a tense issue or where items were actually deleted, I would suggest
that these be reconsidered and thought given to if these are, in fact,
essential and necessary.

Printer MIB v1                          Printer MIB v2
--------------                          --------------

prtAlertCode                            PrtAlertCodeTC
    coverOpen = 3                           coverOpened = 3
    interlockOpen = 5                       interlockOpened = 5
    configurationChange = 7                 configurationChanged = 7
    jam = 8                                 jammed = 8
    powerUp = 503                           poweredUp = 503
    powerDown = 504                         poweredDown = 504
    inputMediaSizeChange = 802              inputMediaSizeChanged = 802
    inputMediaWeightChange = 803            inputMediaWeightChanged = 803
    inputMediaTypeChange = 804              inputMediaTypeChanged = 804
    inputMediaColorChange = 805             inputMediaColorChanged = 805
    interpreterMemoryIncrease = 1501        interpreterMemoryIncreased =
1501
    interpreterMemoryDecrease = 1502        interpreterMemoryDecreased =
1502

prtAlertGroup                           PrtAlertGroupTC
    hostResourceMIBStorageTable = 3         hostResourcesMIBStorageTable = 3
    hostResourceMIBDeviceTable = 4          hostResourcesMIBDeviceTable = 4

prtAlertSeverityLevel                   PrtAlertSeverityLevelTC
    critical = 3                            criticalBinaryChangeEvent = 3
    warning = 4                             warningUnaryChangeEvent = 4

prtChannelType                          PrtChannelTypeTC
    chDCERemoteProcCall = 22                <deleted>
    chONCRemoteProcCall = 23                <deleted>
    chOLE = 24                              <deleted>
    chNamedPipe = 25                        <deleted>
    chDPMF = 28                             chPSM = 28
    chDLLAPI = 29                           <deleted>
    chVxDAPI = 30                           <deleted>

prtConsoleDisable                       prtConsoleDisable
    enabled = 3                             operatorConsoleEnabled = 3
    disabled = 4                            operatorConsoleDisabled = 4

prtCoverStatus                          PrtCoverStatusTC
    doorOpen = 3                            coverOpen = 3
    doorClosed = 4                          coverClosed = 4

prtInterpreterLangFamily                PrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC
    langImPress = 33                        langimPress = 33

prtMarkerMarkTech                       PrtMarkerMarkTechTC
    electroPhotographicLED = 3              electrophotographicLED = 3
    electroPhotographicLaser = 4            electrophotographicLaser = 4
    electroPhotographicOther = 5            electrophotographicOther = 5
    impactMovingHeadDotMatrix9Pin = 6       impactMovingHeadDotMatrix9pin =
6
    impactMovingHeadDotMatrix24Pin = 7      impactMovingHeadDotMatrix24pin =
7

prtMediaPathMaxSpeedPrintUnit           PrtMediaPathMaxSpeedPrintUnitTC
    feetPerhour = 16                        feetPerHour = 16

prtOutputType                           PrtOutputTypeTC
    mailbox = 6                             mailBox = 6

subUnitStatus                           PrtSubUnitStatusTC
    intendedStateIsOnLine           0       stateIsOnLine
0
    intendedStateIsOffLine          32      stateIsOffLine
32
    atIntendedState                 0       currentlyAtIntendedState
0
    transitiioningToIntendedState   64      transitioningToIntendedState
64

Mike

X                          
Mike Elvers
The Document Company Xerox
200 Crosskeys Office Park
M/S 815-000
Fairport, New York 14450
Phone:	716-425-6449
Intelnet: 	8*225-6449
Email:	mailto:[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: McDonald, Ira [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 1999 6:32 PM
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; McDonald, Ira; Whittle, Craig
Subject: Final edits to Printer MIB v2 - fix broken names

Hi Harry Lewis and PMP folks,

I've just learned from Ron Bergman (PMP chair) that the
IETF Host Resources MIB v2 is 'close' to moving forward
to IESG 'last call', after Steve Waldbusser's recent work.

BEFORE we send the final text of the Printer MIB v2 to the IESG,
I urge that we restore to original Printer MIB (RFC 1759) names:

1)  Several textual conventions originally from Printer MIB v1
    (RFC 1759), which were renamed with a 'Prt...' prefix
    - this breaks IMPORTS into other MIB modules; 

2)  Several enumeration labels originally from Printer MIB v1
    (RFC 1759), which were renamed, apparently for clarity
    - this breaks open management stations and client tools.

UNLESS the above corrections are made, it is IMPOSSIBLE to build
a hybrid device or client software implementation, which conforms 
simultaneously to both Printer MIB v1 and Printer MIB v2.

I don't have the detailed list here at the moment but Ron Bergman
(Hitachi/Koki) has encountered the renamed textual conventions
and Mike Elvers (Xerox) has encountered the renamed enumeration
labels - they CAN supply the short list of corrections to be
made.

If you are not an implementor, you may not realize how serious
the breakage is from these small name errors.  If you are an
implementor, you've already had to hand-edit the Printer MIB v2
text in order to proceed with your own development.  These are
NOT just hypothetical problems.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Sharp Labs America)
  High North Inc