Subject: PMP> RE: [Addressability] one more printer mib question

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:05:43 -0700

Hi Juergen,

While you're correct that we should define another column 
in 'prtInterpreterTable' to disambiguate this units problem, 
that's not very practical.

The actual objects (very few) newly defined in Printer MIB v2
have all been stable for four or five years.  Several printer
vendors have been shipping full Printer MIB v2 implementations
for two or three years.  The tools all understand the current
objects in Printer MIB v2.  Adding an object now would be
unpopular in the extreme.

Vendors - is adding a new column to 'prtInterpreterTable'
(the technically correct solution) acceptable?

Ron and Harry - I'm personally ambivalent about this issue.
Juergen has uncovered a non-trivial bug in the Printer MIB
(v1 and v2).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, co-editor of Printer MIB v2
  High North Inc

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 5:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Addressability] one more printer mib question

>>>>> McDonald, Ira writes:

Ira> Oops!  Good question.  I would say use the Marker row specified
Ira> by 'prtMarkerDefaultIndex' in the 'prtGeneralTable'.

Are you sure this is always and necessarily the right marker?

Ira> But we sure ought to specify this in the descriptions of the two
Ira> 'prtInterpreterTable' columnar objects.  Right?

What ever the answer is, it should be documented. As far as I am
concerned, I would like to see another column 

    prtInterpreterFeedAddressabilityUnit

added to the prtInterpreterTable and the need for looking up the unit
in some other places just goes away.

Ira> Further, it's not meaningful (and SHOULD NOT be done) to have
Ira> different addressability units for different markers or
Ira> interpreters in the same instance of the Printer MIB, in my
Ira> humble opinion.

Right now, the MIB seems to allow for it and hence I try to allow for
this in my management application...

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder    <http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>