Subject: PMP> Minutes of the MFP Teleconference 20060214

From: "Bergman, Ron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:01:41 -0800

The minutes can be found at:

	ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/minutes/mfp/MFP_Minutes_20060214.pdf

Ron Bergman
Chairman, Printer MIBs Working Group

---

From: "Paul Tykodi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:00:28 -0500

Dear List,

During the last year, I have been involved in some network analysis looking
at how certain hosts use the current printer MIB to determine device status
(including that of MFP's) and what effect a significant number of SNMP
queries and responses can have on effective printing throughput (at times
rather dramatic reduction in achievable throughput).

In looking at the minutes from today's meeting, I would suggest that it
might be a good idea to consider whether MIB optimization should be a
category for an MFP alerts project. The idea would be to at least minimally
describe some best practices for MIB usage, which would result in the host
obtaining the required information using the smallest SNMP query and
response packet transmission overhead possible.

In case people are wondering how dramatic a reduction in PPM I have observed
when SNMP traffic is significant (host trying to determine whether device is
in error or not - multiple queries are sent asking more and more specific
questions of the printer MIB), I have seen printers and MFP's with rated
speeds in the 75 - 125 PPM range reduced to achieving actual throughput in
the 10 to 20 PPM range.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul

--

Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant
TCS - Tykodi Consulting Services LLC

Tel/Fax: 603-343-1820
Mobile:  603-866-0712
E-mail:  [email-masked]
WWW:   <http://www.tykodi.com/> http://www.tykodi.com

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bergman, Ron
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PMP> Minutes of the MFP Teleconference 20060214

Ron Bergman