Subject: PMP> Indexing option for prtAlertGroupIndex to identify function

From: "Stuart Rowley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:00:18 -0800

Ron,

I took a stab at new text for section 7 Recommended Indexing Method.

Ira suggested that it should not be normative and should therefore be in
an appendix. I wasn't sure how to handle whether the ranges are
recommended or just an example. If there is no explicit agreement on the
ranges, then a management app has no idea of the special meaning of the
index. Therefore, "recommended" seems appropriate to me. I expanded the
ranges because Ira said that some device implementations may bump into
the previous range limits.

Appendix (x) - prtAlertGroupIndex Indexing Option

The various MFD functions share some common alert groups, such as
prtMediaPath, prtInput, prtOutput, prtChannel, prtConsole, prtCover,
etc., For alerts in these common alert groups, there may be no
information which indicates the MFD function affected by the alert. The
recommended method to allow a management application to associate an
alert with a specific device function is to assign index ranges to each
device function. The following prtAlertGroupIndex index ranges are
recommended; index values from 1 to 255 (0x0001 to 0x00FF) may be
assigned to the print function, index values from 256 to 511 (0x0100 to
0x01FF) may be assigned to the scan function, and index values from 512
to 767 (0x0200 to 0x02FF) may be assigned to the fax function. Note that
this method does not indicate when a common group alert affects multiple
device functions. For example, an open cover may affect the print, fax,
and scan functions, but only one prtAlertGroupIndex is used. 

For the alert groups that are specific to one MFD function, such as
faxDeviceGeneral or scanDeviceScanner, prtAlertGroupIndex indices may be
assigned normally, i.e starting at index 1.

Best regards,

Stuart

Stuart Rowley

Network Product Mgr.

Kyocera Technology Development

1855 Gateway Blvd. #400

Concord, CA 94520

[email-masked]

V: 925.849.3306

F: 925.849.3399