Subject: [Privacy-pass] Updated Privacy Pass Charter Timeline

From: Steven Valdez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 14:00:03 -0400

Following up from the last IETF meeting, I'd like to gather some feedback
on updates to the charter timeline to then propose to the ADs.

The current charter timeline has:

Specification of protocol & surrounding architecture - February 2021.

Risk assessment for centralization in Privacy Pass deployments for multiple
design options - February 2021

Specification of application-layer requirements (including HTTP
integration) - June 2021.

Specification of HTTP browser API (in coordination with W3C) - October 2021.

The proposed updated items and revised timeline is:

Core protocol (with POPRF construction) draft - November 2021

- Currently just blocked on a few open issues and a decision around the
abstraction/metadata considerations in the protocol and Chris' latest
proposal.

Additional Constructions (BLS?) - ???

- Timeline and goals to be updated as the WG reaches consensus on what
other constructions to support.

Architecture draft - March 2022

- Needs further work to pull in discussion about deployment issues,
centralization, and metadata analysis.

Specification of application-layer requirements (including HTTP
integration) - April 2022

- Once the protocol/architecture is updated and cut, we'll want to bring
the HTTP API document in line with them.

HTTP browser API (in coordination with W3C) - 2022

- More of an external item, but in parallel with the standardization
progress in the WG, we'll hopefully be moving towards a standardization of
the HTTP application in the W3C.

With the split proposal Chris proposes, the additional/updated items the WG
would pick up:

Public Verifiability Protocol (with BLS construction) Draft - June 2022

- Needs updates to the BLS draft in CFRG to include blinding (and
potentially metadata)

Updated Architecture draft - October 2022

- Updated to encompass both the POPRF protocol and public verifiability
protocol.

Steven Valdez |  Chrome Privacy Sandbox |  [email-masked] |
 210-692-4742