Subject: RE: EPP and verification processes

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 11:41:15 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Robert Burbidge [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 11:05 AM
> To: Ietf-Provreg (E-mail)
> Subject: EPP and verification processes
> 
> 
> As we are making good progress on our generic epp 
> implementation, we need to
> finalise the verification extensions. How is EPP expected to 
> be used for a
> domain that verifies registrants? I have the .coop TLD in 
> mind, as you might
> expect. Here's a summary of the salient points of the .coop registrant
> validation process. The real process is a little more subtle 
> than I have
> described it, but it is sufficient to explain the background 
> of my question.

[snip]

> Your thoughts and suggestions are of course welcome.

It sounds like you need to define a contact object extension (or extensions)
for the needs of your particular registry.  As you noted there's nothing in
the protocol to deal with registrant "verification", and that's because
verification is a very registry-specific thing.

You can see some examples of extension mappings in some I-Ds I've written.
There's one in the ENUM WG, and another individual submission under my name.
I'm not recommending that you write an I-D; it might be wise to consider if
such a document is really of interest to the IETF as a whole or if it's
really needed only by your customers.  If it's only needed by your customers
your best bet might be to craft your own document using the I-D as a
template, but to publish the document in whatever format and venue makes
sense for you and your customers.

-Scott-