Subject: RE: Lack of reference client Implementation for EPP 6 / TCP 4

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 12:59:46 -0400

> The new datagram format described in TCP-04 describes the new header,
> however it is silent out how the record is terminated, however
> epp-rtk-java expects a <CR><NL> terminator.

Seems like a bogus requirement to me because as far as I can tell the specs
are quite clear.  Section 3 of the TCP draft notes that the record is
terminated with a </epp> element, and Section 4 of the TCP draft says that
the record contains "the EPP XML instance".  Section 2.1 of the core draft
also describes the start and end elements.  There's no mention of a <CR><NL>
terminator anywhere.

Anyway, the idea of a reference implementation is a good one.  Someone just
has to write, release, and maintain it.

-Scott-

---

From: Daniel Manley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:05:08 -0400

Tucows has been pretty quiet lately on the SourceForge epp-rtk front. 
 Being the main Tucows developer on this project, I can explain this by 
me being occupied with some other non-domain/registry work.  The other 
main developers, Asbjorn and Vidar, who are from GNR (.name), have 
understandably been busy lately with the recent release of their live 
registry.  

In the past, we've released RTK versions as registries launch with new 
versions of EPP -- those have been .info, .biz and .name.  I see from 
Stuart's email that .coop is up to bat now, and I have also heard 
rumours of some ccTLDs launching with EPP 06/04.  So, we will start the 
development of the next release of the RTKs (Java and C++) for 06/04.

Dan

-- 
Daniel Manley
Tucows, Inc.
Toronto, Canada
[email-masked]

---

From: Patrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 20:38:31 +0200

> development of the next release of the RTKs (Java and C++) for 06/04.

Alternatively, please note, that we will soon make available a Perl
OO toolkit implementing EPP (as well as RRP) among other things, and
handling transparently all known EPP versions (excluding 06/04 since
no live Registry use it for now) : you just give it an EPP version
number (sort of), and it handles internally changes needed.

This exact code is used in production as interface to 4 Registries (1
RRP, and 3 EPP all three using a distinct EPP version) for ``high''
volume.

Sorry if you think this is not appropriate, but I felt this may be of
interest to some of you.
It will be available under the GPL.
Support for EPP 06/04 should be easy to add in the current framework,
and anyone will be welcome to help as soon as it is released.

BTW it is a toolkit to build an EPP/RRP/X client (as used now), but
we also plan to build a server on top of it as free software (this
way a thread lately I recall), or a least a toolkit for a server.

After it being available, I will be happy to participate in any
interoperabilty tests (since that is in the milestones).
Please note however that I am still an IETF rookie, so do not
hesitate to educate me in this aspect ;-)

Patrick.