Subject: Re: Stateless vs. Stateful

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:37:44 -0400

At 11:04 AM -0400 7/29/02, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>With email, for example, a transport mapping could be written to say that
>all of the needed commands must be sent in one message/session.

One issue is the means of authentication.  Since I'm a chair, I'll 
sit back and listen to comments on this in lieu of speaking my mind. 
(Unless I am urged to do so.)

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:47:58 -0400

> (Unless I am urged to do so.)

That issue could be addressed by requiring a <login> command as the first
command in the batch.  The "session" could then be ended with either an
explicit <logout> command or reaching the end of the batch.  Additional
authentication services could be provided with either PGP or S/MIME signing
of the batch, but that's getting ahead into the specifics of an email
transport.

-Scott-