Subject: Subordinate hosts and domain transfers

From: Susan Goodsir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:32:04 +0100

The draft-ietf-provreg-epp-host-04 states that hosts within the name space
for which a server is authoritative may only be created if the relevant
superordinate domain is known to the server. 

Am I right to understand that there is no requirement for the superordinate
domain to be sponsored by the client who wishes to provision the host?  So,
for example, may ClientX create "ns1.blah.tld" despite ClientY being the
sponsoring registrar of "blah.tld"?

If so, there are implications for domain transfer.  For example if
"blah.tld" is transferred to ClientZ, then draft-ietf-provreg-epp-domain-04
states that "ns1.blah.tld" must implicitly be transferred from ClientX to
ClientZ.  This will be done without ClientX's knowledge or approval.  Is
this behaviour intended?

Regards,

Suzy Goodsir
www.poptel.coop

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:06:57 -0400

> sponsoring registrar of "blah.tld"?

Section 1.1 of the host mapping document describes the relationship between
host objects and domain objects.  In my mind, "subordinate" and
"superordinate" have sponsorship implications such that only the client who
sponsors the superordinate domain object can create a subordinate host
object.  The short answer to your question is "no", but that depends on the
relationship between host TLD, domain TLD, and if the host is an external
host or not.  The external host concept, and how such hosts are treated
(note that they don't get transferred), is also described in section 1.1.

> ClientZ.  This will be done without ClientX's knowledge or 

Considering that the ClientY is responsible for the management of all hosts
subordinate to blah.tld, ClientX can't provision a host in blah.tld and is
not involved in the transfer at all.

-Scott-