Subject: epp status

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:01:18 -0700 (PDT)

what happens when a domain has passed its expiration date and has a status
of renewalProhibited?

-rick

---

From: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:04:10 -0400

> what happens when a domain has passed its expiration date and has a status

We had a long internal discussion about this to figure out how to deal with
the situation in our implementation, and decided that *RenewProhibited
should prevent the renew command, but not necessarily the renew action.  So,
in our implementation, the domain will auto-renew regardless of the status.
(Is there an assumption of auto-renewal within any of the EPP specs?  There
may be some registries where the desired behavior at the end of the
registration period is auto-deletion.)  This interpretation allows us to
avoid making the server go insane when *RenewProhibited and
*DeleteProhibited are both set.

Jordyn

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:04:00 -0400

> ... allows us to
> avoid making the server go insane when ...

Still, isn't this a registry-private issue?

and

> Is there an assumption of auto-renewal within any of the EPP specs?

If it exists, we should remove it.

> ... There
> registration period is auto-deletion ...

Or whatever.

There is a protocol state machine (or an approximation of one).
There is a registry policy state machine (or ditto).

There is no guarantee that one can't hang one with the other, just
that we don't hang the first, and the second is registry-private.

Eric