Subject: RE: Login Failure and Sessions

From: "Liu, Hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 15:46:40 -0400

Scott,

Now I understand what your problem was, -:) Yes, I was referring to option 2
with N to be determined by the server operator.

--Hong

-----Original Message-----
From: Hollenbeck, Scott [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 3:41 PM
To: 'Liu, Hong'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Login Failure and Sessions

> I understand your concerns, but the retrial number N is really a
> configuration parameter. It is not unusual to leave this type 
> of parameters
> for run-time configuration, take the windowing protocol as an 
> example. The
> size of the window is not fixed in the spec.

You didn't address the problem I presented: the need to craft a
deterministic state diagram.  If what you're saying, though, is that you
prefer option 2 (blast the connection after N failures) with the value of N
(0 <= N <= inf) to be determined by the server operator, I can work with
that.  That's at least easier to describe formally than "it's a policy
issue". ;-)

-Scott-

---

From: Patrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:37:13 +0200

Scott,

> that.  That's at least easier to describe formally than "it's a policy

Sorry for my formulation then.
What you describe (N being whatever from 0 to inf included) is what I
had in mind.

Sorry again.

Patrick.