Subject: RE: Sending the original (Unicode) domain name as well as the ACE ?

From: Elisabeth Porteneuve <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 17:20:16 +0200 (MET DST)

Sorry for jumping in with non-technical comment.

The UPU, established in 1874, (http://www.upu.int/) provides postal 
addresses in English for every country.

The very basic reason is that the common lowest dominator is needed
to ensure the postmen worldwide read postal addresses, and put 
enveloppes in appropriate bag to be delivered in appropriate country.

We better have the postal address information in EPP that
respects the UPU conventions.

Elisabeth Porteneuve

=================================================================
  - One or two <contact:postalInfo> elements that contain postal address
  information.  Two elements are provided so that address information
  can be provided in both internationalized and localized forms.  If an
  internationalized form is provided, it MUST be listed first and
  element content MUST be represented in a subset of UTF-8 that can be
  represented in the 7-bit US-ASCII character set.  If a localized form
  is provided, element content MAY be represented in unrestricted UTF-8.
  The <contact:postalInfo> element contains the following child
  elements:

> From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
> To: "'Stephane Bortzmeyer'" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: Sending the original (Unicode) domain name as well as the ACE
> 	?
> Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:17:01 -0400 
> 
> > I'm curious about the rationale. Why not just accepting Unicode and
> > translating it to ASCII when necessary? Is it because automatic
> > transliteration of Unicode to ASCII is quite difficult so we prefer
> > that the registrar does it?
> 
> In the contact context such translations are likely impossible to do
> automatically.  The two forms are allowed because the contact might prefer
> to have both internationalized and localized forms of the information
> available for display purposes, and a translation between the two forms
> might not be possible.
> 
> In the domain context the conversions are quite possible and relatively
> easy, so they can be done wherever it makes the most sense for a given
> provisioning environment.
> 
> -Scott-
>

---

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 08:56:10 -0700

>>>>> "Elisabeth" == Elisabeth Porteneuve <[email-masked]> writes:

    Elisabeth> We better have the postal address information in EPP
    Elisabeth> that respects the UPU conventions.

This is a very good suggestion. It also gets us (or maybe IANA) off
the hook of deciding what is and isn't a country.

---

From: Olivier Guillard / AFNIC <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:23:30 +0200

> the hook of deciding what is and isn't a country.

supporting unicode give the solution to another question:
what is and isn't a letter.

(by the way upu give also an answer to that question)

-- 
Olivier