Subject: Response Codes in draft-liu-epp-soap-00.txt

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 07:41:08 -0400

I noticed the notes and comments about EPP response codes in Hong's SOAP
draft.  As I see it, the basic problem is an attempt to use EPP response
codes to identify SOAP-related errors.  Rather than trying to overload EPP
responses to note SOAP-related processing errors, it would be a far better
idea to deal with SOAP errors in the SOAP header.

-Scott-

---

From: "Liu, Hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:49:57 -0400

Scott,

Thanks for bringing that up. As noted in the draft, this indeed is an open
issue that requires further development. We would like to hear from you and
others on the list to get this issue resolved. As a starting point, would
you mind bring up one or two cases that you see most problematic (and
suggestions, -:) )?

Cheers,

--Hong

-----Original Message-----
From: Hollenbeck, Scott [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 7:41 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Response Codes in draft-liu-epp-soap-00.txt

-Scott-

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:29:25 -0400

> you mind bring up one or two cases that you see most problematic (and

1) Page 14, use of the EPP 2200 response code to note a SOAP unknown session
error.

2) Page 15, use of the EPP 2200 response code to note a SOAP expired session
error.

3) Page 15 and 16, NOTE 1 and NOTE 2.

4) Page 17, NOTE about old EPP response code 2501.

As I said before, if you have to deal with SOAP session errors you need to
put something explicit into the SOAP header to note them.  Maybe an OPTIONAL
<epp-soap:error> element with error codes defined in your draft would do it.

A 2400 error code would probably be more appropriate to return for an EPP
command that can't be processed due to a transport-related error like this.
A 2200 response identifies an _EPP_ authentication error -- not a SOAP
error, and that can be confusing.

BTW, there are numerous instances of "exp-soap" used as a namespace in the
examples where I think you meant to use "epp-soap" instead:

S:    <epp-soap:session xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-soap-1.0"
S:         xmlns:epp-soap="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-soap-1.0"
S:         xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
S:         xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-soap-1.0
S:         epp-soap-1.0.xsd" env:mustUnderstand="true">
S:        <exp-soap:clID>ClientX</clID>
S:        <exp-soap:sessionID>NV0x12aNX3YTAsdK</exp-soap:sessionID>
S:        <exp-soap:exDate>1970-01-01T00:00:00.0Z</exp-soap:exDate>

I think you can also get away with a single declaration for the epp-soap
namespace.  In the example above, you're both setting the default namespace
and then explicitly declaring epp-soap as a namespace.  You don't need to do
both.

You might want to try running the examples through a validating parser to
flush these sorts of errors.

-Scott-

---

From: "Liu, Hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:56:09 -0400

Thanks, Scott! These are very good suggestions. We will deal with them in
the next revision.

--Hong

-----Original Message-----
From: Hollenbeck, Scott [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 10:29 AM
To: 'Liu, Hong'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: Response Codes in draft-liu-epp-soap-00.txt

-Scott-