Subject: RE: New I-D on EPP over SOAP

From: "Liu, Hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:42:06 -0400

Patrik,

Thanks for clarifying your concerns. We will investigate the Email transport
binding further and make changes to the draft as required.

--Hong

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrik Fältström [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 1:39 AM
To: Liu, Hong
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; McGarry, Tom; Wilhelm, Richard; Zhang, Ning
Subject: Re: New I-D on EPP over SOAP

On Thursday, September 26, 2002, at 05:51 PM, Liu, Hong wrote:

> The three published SOAP transport bindings that we are aware of are 
> HTTP,
> Email and BEEP. There are others supported by tools such as 
> SOAP::Lite, but
> these three are the ones we referred to in the references. Are there 
> other
> transport bindings you want us to add on? Do you foresee any problem 
> with
> any of these SOAP transport bindings, with the text quoted above?

I have issues with SMTP, as SMTP messages might be lost, and as far as 
I know the binding of SOAP on top of SMTP doesn't include 
retransmission of lost messages, ordering of messages etc.

I.e. for application layer processing, SMTP acts like UDP (if you allow 
me to make the comparison) and you need some binding which is 
"tcp-like" on top of SMTP to get the secure transport you need.

If SOAP over SMTP include that, fine. I don't know enough.

     paf

P.S. I will have the same issues with EPP over SMTP if that is created.