Subject: RE: New I-D on EPP over SOAP

From: "Liu, Hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:51:24 -0400

Patrik,

Thanks for the comments. We will clarify the issue in the next revision. The
I-D may have already touched upon some of your concerns in the second
paragraph of Section 2.3, "Message Processing":

"Although SOAP supports a variety of messaging models and defines a message
format for various message patterns, this memo will assume that a
request/response process model MUST be followed for exchanging EPP messages
via SOAP. After an EPP client send an EPP message via SOAP, the client MUST
wait for a SOAP response from the EPP server before sending the next EPP
message via SOAP. An EPP server MUST explicitly reject concurrent EPP
messages from an EPP client after a session is successfully established."

What it means is that the EPP client and server should operate in the strict
ping-pong mode. If we re-emphasize them again in the introduction section,
will that be sufficent to address your concerns? Please advise.

The three published SOAP transport bindings that we are aware of are HTTP,
Email and BEEP. There are others supported by tools such as SOAP::Lite, but
these three are the ones we referred to in the references. Are there other
transport bindings you want us to add on? Do you foresee any problem with
any of these SOAP transport bindings, with the text quoted above?

Thanks!

--Hong

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrik Fältström [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 1:26 AM
To: Liu, Hong
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; McGarry, Tom; Wilhelm, Richard; Zhang, Ning
Subject: Re: New I-D on EPP over SOAP

On Wednesday, September 25, 2002, at 09:52 PM, Liu, Hong wrote:

> I would like to let you know that we have submitted an I-D on EPP over 
> SOAP.
> Until it appears in the IETF I-D archives, you can access it via the
> following URL:
>
> http://epp-ver-04.sourceforge.net/IETF/draft-liu-epp-soap-00.txt

FYI: You have the following text in the introduction:

> It is designed to work on top of any transport bindings
>    defined for SOAP, taking advantage of the variety of SOAP software
>    tools and environments available for web services.

Note that some of the transport protocols today used for SOAP does 
_not_ fulfill the requirements that exists for EPP regarding congestion 
control, so you can not "just" have something running on top of SOAP. 
You also need to talk about the transport protocol SOAP is using.

    Regards, paf

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 07:38:51 +0200

> any of these SOAP transport bindings, with the text quoted above?

I have issues with SMTP, as SMTP messages might be lost, and as far as 
I know the binding of SOAP on top of SMTP doesn't include 
retransmission of lost messages, ordering of messages etc.

I.e. for application layer processing, SMTP acts like UDP (if you allow 
me to make the comparison) and you need some binding which is 
"tcp-like" on top of SMTP to get the secure transport you need.

If SOAP over SMTP include that, fine. I don't know enough.

     paf

P.S. I will have the same issues with EPP over SMTP if that is created.