Subject: [ietf-provreg] Synchronisity

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 21:50:53 -0500

All,

Context - new IRTF trainwreck, gazillion opinion posts posing as charter
wrangles. In a nutshell ...

>> ...which violates german privacy laws...

> I guess different cultures have different ideas of privacy...

We're not alone. There is unintelligent life in the universe.

Eric

P.S. To be cheritable, relay is in theory some form of onward-transport
problem. Contrast this with geopriv, which is a captive-leaf (roaming)
problem. Geopriv has done a new document cycle, if anyone cares.

------- Forwarded Message

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
To: Hadmut Danisch <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Asrg] desirable characteristics of source tracking (was:
 Requirements for source tracking)

...
> > 
> > What I might like to know are things like:
> > 
> > a. is the sender's account new, or has it been around awhile?
> > b. does the source ISP have a reliable way to bill the sender?
> >    (or is this from someone who got a 100 hours free CD in the mail?)
> > c. have there been many complaints about mail from this sender?
> 
> 
> ...which violates german privacy laws...
> 
> Privacy is fortunately highly protected over here.

let me get this straight - it's not a violation of privacy to insist on
knowing the real identity of someone who sent a message, but it is a violation
of privacy to provide a slight bit of additional information about an
anonymous  or pseudonymous sender?

I guess different cultures have different ideas of privacy...

that's okay - there's no reqirement for the ISP to provide such information.
but if the ISP can legally do so, and is willing to do so, then the sender
can provide preferential treatment of the message.

I don't think we're going to end up with a uniform global solution for spam in
any case, because different people and different cultures vary not only
according to what kinds of protection they consider important, but also in
what they consider offensive or unacceptable.

Keith
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

------- End of Forwarded Message