Subject: [ietf-provreg] URL element in contact mapping

From: Hideki Noma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:37:33 +0900

Hello,

There will be a URL element introduced in .JP contact information in near future.
And I beleive that some sort of element representing a URL of domain owner or contact
is necessary.In fact whois.internic.net has both url element of whois server and
web server.

I understand that url element should be optional or even, extention implemented by registrars,
however the element name must be standardized. I don't know why JP registry is not commenting on
this but as one of JP registrar, I strongly request it.

If there has been a discussion around this topic I've missed it, please point me
where to look at.

Hideki Noma
Humeia Limited Partnership

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 22:55:06 -0500

Hideki,

I don't think there has been any discussion around this topic.

Why don't you start to suggest how to specify this?

Eric

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:30:19 -0500

The WG (which is the mailing list) has not heard of this before, so 
we are unable to send you a reference.

We would appreciate more information on this topic so that the 
protocol is capable of handling all it needs to handle.

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

---

From: Hideki Noma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:26:24 +0900

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for late action.

How about this kind of element.

<contact:url>https://ssl.d4u.jp/Contact.cgi</contact:url>

or in case there needs some distinction on which type of url;
(like as whois offered by whois.internic.net)

<contact:url type="web">https://ssl.d4u.jp/Contact.cgi</contact:url>
<contact:url type="whois">whois.internic.net</contact:url>

this should serve fine.

Adding url parameter might help in solving the privacy issue as
offering another means to contact the registrant, don't you think so?

Hideki Noma