Subject: [ietf-provreg] schemaLocation required?

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:26:23 -0800 (PST)

in RFC3730 it states...

2.2.  Protocol Identification

   All EPP XML instances MUST begin with an <epp> element.  This element
   identifies the start of an EPP protocol element, the namespace used
   within the protocol, and the location of the protocol schema.  The
   <epp> start element and the associated </epp> ending element MUST be
   applied to all structures sent by both clients and servers.

   Example "start" and "end" EPP elements:

   <epp xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0"
        xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
        xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0
        epp-1.0.xsd">
   </epp>

My question is:

   is the  xsi:schemaLocation attribute a MUST ot a MAY? the above
   language isn't expressly clear about it.

   Since the xmlns clearly defines what we are talking about and the
   xmlns:xsi and xsi:schemaLocation redundancy remove all the chars
   recovered in the shortning of element names.

These elements cost 119 chars which is more than we recovered in the
element name shorning scheme.

IMHO we should either reduce the requirement (if there is an implied
MUST) for xmlns:xsi and xsi:schemaLocation or use real terms for the
element names insted of shorting them to acronyms.

could scott clarifiy his intention with xmlns:xsi and xsi:schemaLocation?

thanks,

-rick

---

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:33:46 -0800 (PST)

agreed. furthermore in the example given in Section 4.3.2 it states

   ...all schema location information can be declared on the document
   element of a document, if desired, regardless of where the namespaces
   are actually used.

which would mean they could be declared in the <epp> start tag and not
in its chidren.

it is preferable that we agree in the <greeting> and allow the
xsi:schemaLocation to beoptional for the rest of the session.

anyone else have thoughts on this?

-rick

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Andrew Newton wrote:

>
> On Mar 30, 2004, at 2:26 PM, Rick Wesson wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#composition-instances
>
> Section 4.3.2, item 3, 2nd paragraph.
>
> My interpretation is 'MAY'.
>
> -andy
>
>