Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] Unique identifiers for Contact

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 06:54:52 -0400

> The spec seemed fairly clear to me that clients shouldn't expect the 
> server-unique string in the response to be the same as the 
> server-unique string they suggested, but upon re-reading, it 
> does seem 
> reasonable to not make that assumption.
> 
> Scott: what did you intend, here?

The id returned in the response is supposed to be the same one that the
client requested to be created with the command.  Just like domain and host
names.

-Scott-

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:40:09 -0400

> client requested to be created with the command.  Just like domain and 

So, just to clarify, the intention is for server-unique identifiers to 
be constructed by clients guessing repeatedly at strings which they 
think might be unique, until one is found that doesn't collide with an 
existing identifier on the server?

Joe