Subject: [ietf-provreg] id attribute of <poll> acknowledgement response

From: "Gould, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:06:52 -0400

All,

I recently noticed that the EPP 1.0 specification states the following:

A <poll> acknowledgement response notes the number of messages

   remaining in the queue and the ID of the next message available for

   retrieval.

This changed between EPP 05 and 06, where EPP 05 states the following:

A <poll> acknowledgement response notes the ID of the message that has

  been acknowledged and the number of messages remaining in the queue.

I discussed this with Scott and neither of us can remember what caused the
changed.  Does anyone remember the logic for changing the message id in the
acknowledgement response to the id of the next message instead of the id of
the message acknowledged? 

I believe it makes more sense to return the id acknowledged, which is how we
have implemented it.  Since you can't de-queue a message by id, it provides
little value with returning the id of the next message in the
acknowledgement response.  If it should be the id of the next message, what
should the id be if the count is zero?  The id is a required attribute, so
some kind of dummy value would have to be returned when the count is zero.  

Are there any Registries that have implemented the poll acknowledgement
response as defined in EPP 06 and above, and if so what is being returned
for the id when the count is zero?

JG

James F. Gould

VeriSign Naming and Directory Services

[email-masked]