Subject: [ietf-provreg] Re: [Speermint] FW: Preliminary BOF proposals due soon

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 17:22:19 -0500

Alright, now that the holidays are over it is time to get moving on  
SIP peering provisioning. We have requested and received an ietf.org  
mailing list for PEPPERMINT.  The list info can be found here:
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint

A BoF proposal is forthcoming in a day or two.

-andy

On Dec 19, 2006, at 11:26 AM, David Schwartz wrote:

> I am 85% finished on an a draft describing requirements we have
> accumulated at XConnect. Hope to have this out by the end of the year.
>
> David
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Richard Shockey [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 5:38 PM
> To: 'Andrew Newton'; 'Livingood, Jason'; 'David Meyer';
> [email-masked]
> Cc: 'RAI ADs'
> Subject: [Speermint] FW: Preliminary BOF proposals due soon
>
>
>
> Andrew Newton and I will be proposing a BOF on SPEERMINT Provisioning
> issues
> for IETF 68 in Prague.
>
> If anyone has topic or is considering producing drafts related to
> provisioning issues please let Andy or I know.
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: IETF Chair [mailto:[email-masked]]
>> Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 3:39 AM
>> To: IETF Announcement list
>> Subject: Preliminary BOF proposals due soon
>>
>> As for the previous IETF, we're asking for preliminary BOF proposals
> to be
>> sent to the appropriate Area Director a little earlier, by January  
>> 15.
>> Even sooner would be better!
>>
>> Full list of dates:
>> http://www.ietf.org/meetings/68-cutoff_dates.html
>>
>> BOF wiki:
>> http://www1.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki
>>
>> Hints:
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-narten-successful-bof
>>
>>    Brian Carpenter
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> IETF-Announce mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Speermint mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 21:32:19 -0500

Peppermint BOF

Provisioning Extensions in Peering Registries for Multimedia
INTerconnection.

Mailing Lists:

To post to this list, send your email to:

[email-masked]

General information about the mailing list including subscription
information is at:

BOF chairs:

Andrew Newton [[email-masked]]

Richard Shockey [[email-masked]]

Temporary Area Directorate: Real Time Applications (RAI)

Ultimate Area Directorate: TBD

BOF Purpose:

The ENUM and SPEERMINT working groups are working on various aspects of
Multi Media Interconnection. ENUM is specifically chartered to develop
protocols that involve the translation of E.164 numbers to URI's. SPEERMINT
has been chartered to develop best current practices among real-time
application service providers and how such services interconnect across
domain boundaries.

It is clear from discussions in both working groups that Multi-Media
Interconnection will require various forms of data to be exchanged among
administrative domains outside the normal scope of establishing a SIP
session. 

Such data exchanges might be provisioning of various forms of Registries
containing mappings of phone numbers to URI, policies surrounding the
admission to points of network interconnection and the distribution of
Registry data to various types of databases.

The purpose of the BOF is to determine the need and scope for such data
exchanges, what existing protocols need to be adapted to meet those needs
and the appropriate schema and queries are needed to facilitate such
exchanges.

The IETF has in the past done significant work on data exchanges among
various administrative entities. In particular the PROVREG working group
developed various schema and query mechanisms to facilitate the exchange of
data among domain name registries and registrars.

The ENUM Working group has adapted PROVREG working group protocols to
develop RFC 4114, which facilitates the provisioning of ENUM data in the DNS
tree.  However, there has been little adoption of RFC 4114, and many of the
participants of the SPEERMINT working group require both data models and
protocol features not found in RFC 4114.

The proposed PEPPERMINT working group will build upon the knowledge gained
from those efforts, and the intent of this proposed working group is to find
a provisioning solution for peering as defined by SPEERMINT. The final work
product(s) from this working group will be based upon XML.  Additionally,
bias will be given to re-using either EPP, HTTP/REST, HTTP/XML-RPC, or
HTTP/SOAP. 

Proposed Deliverables

Requirements for SPEERMINT data exchange.

Provisioning of SPEERMINT data registries.

Provisioning of SPEERMINT/ENUM data caches.

Richard Shockey
Director, Member of the Technical Staff
NeuStar
46000 Center Oak Plaza - Sterling, VA 20166 sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org
sip:5651(at)neustarlab.biz PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1
703.593.2683 <mailto:richard(at)shockey.us>
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>