Subject: Re: PWE3 Arch/CW & RTP Order (Rough Consesus?)

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 15:58:56 -0400

Danny -

> MPLS->PW label->MPLS PID->RTP->PW CW->PW Payload

Just what is this MPLS PID that you're hanging you hat on?

No standard or MPLS wg document exists.  There is no item in the MPLS
charter.  

I do not see the MPLS group doing a standards track 4 byte payload
type ID.  All I want MPLS to do is write an informational document
citing the issues of ECMP and recomending the above use of the first
nibble of a non-IP payload.

So as far as I'm concerned what folks are calling the "MPLS PID" is
merely a variant of the PW CW.  And your diagram is:

MPLS->PW label->PW CW->RTP->PW CW->PW Payload

...George

========================================================================
George Swallow             Cisco Systems                  (978) 936-1398
                           1414 Massachusetts Avenue
                           Boxborough, MA 01719

---

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 11:25:13 -0400

Now I'm confused.  I thought this thread had something to do with TDM and/or
RTP, and didn't  pay much attention.  Frankly, I don't care  how the TDM and
RTP  stuff works  out. As  long as  it doesn't  affect the  layer  2 service
encapsulations. 

Has  something  been  proposed  that   would  change  the  layer  2  service
encapsulations?  If so,  we need to make it  clear that everyone understands
that, so that we can kill it.