Subject: Re: TTL value of VC Label?

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 10:55:42 -0400

Stewart> We changed it to the value 2

I don't think this is a good idea.

Suppose one of the two attachment  circuits bound together by a pw is itself
a pw.  Now you'd like ordinary MPLS  switching to be able to move the packet
from  one  pw to  the  other,  but  the TTL  of  2  will prevent  this  from
happening. 

The "Distributed VPLS"  model also gives rise to a number  of cases in which
one wants to splice together two pws. 

I don't  think there  should be any  requirement on  the setting of  the TTL
value.

---

From: Chris Metz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 12:06:11 -0700

>from  one  pw to  the  other,  but  the TTL  of  2  will prevent  this  from

Yes, this case could arise. Conceivably per-AS PWs could be spliced 
together at ASBR-PEs forming an inter-AS PW. It looks like the PW packet 
could never move beyond the first PW (due to ttl=0).

Cheers ...

>_______________________________________________
>pwe3 mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3