Subject: Re: PWE3 Arch/CW & RTP Order (Rough Consesus?)

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 18:45:28 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
> George...The MPLS PID is not an *MPLS* PID at all....it is a *PW* PID.  If
> it was an *MPLS* layer PID it would belong to the MPLS layer
> networks.....but it doesn't.  It lives in the 'in-between-layer' world of
> PWs.
> 

Can we mandate that the only payloads EVER to run over MPLS will be IP
and PWE3?

If yes, then the PID is a component of PW.

If no, then the PID is a component of MPLS.

Stewart

---

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 14:16:01 -0400

Neil -

> So I have to agree with your conclusion (MPLS(sic) PID == PW CW), but I have
> my own reasons.....based on trying to get people to think a bit more
> architecturally...

In this case, I don't think our reasons are all that different ;-).

...George

========================================================================
George Swallow             Cisco Systems                  (978) 936-1398
                           1414 Massachusetts Avenue
                           Boxborough, MA 01719