Subject: Re: TTL value of VC Label?

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 15:43:18 -0400

Skip> it may be important to  do the sequencing checks at the tunnel-splicer
Skip> just to  provide the diagnostic information needed  to determine where
Skip> the sequencing errors are occurring. 

I  don't  think   so,  the  scalability  problems  that   arise  from  doing
pseudowire-specific  processing  at  intermediate  nodes  far  outweigh  any
possible  diagnostic   value  of   this  technique.   In   a  multi-provider
environment, each provider will probably want  to be able to gather the data
it needs to blame the other, but gathering this data in the forwarding plane
of the border routers does not seem like a good idea to me.

Skip> This could translate into a billing  issue if there was packet loss as
Skip> a result of sequence errors.  

Billing based on the number of packets per pseudowire that arrive at various
points in  the network over some period  of time seems a  bit far-fetched to
me.

---

From: Skip Booth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 16:07:17 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

> of the border routers does not seem like a good idea to me.

I don't think either of us are really wrong.  I imagine different SPs would give
you different answers. The forwarding path will most likely have to support
both, if for no other reason than the interworking and AToM to L2TP cases I
mentioned earlier.  In my experience with L2TP tunnel splicing, the per PW
features and accounting information was something that SPs wanted.  Time will
tell whether that's the case for AToM.

-Skip

---

From: Chris Metz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 14:10:13 -0700

>points in  the network over some period  of time seems a  bit far-fetched to

Two providers sharing an inter-AS link (independent of whether these are PW 
or IP packets) at an exchange point may establish a paid peering 
relationship based on the amount of traffic exchanged. So counting PW 
packets that cross AS boundaries may be a requirement.

Cheers ...

>_______________________________________________
>pwe3 mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3