Subject: [PWE3] FW: liaison text

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:23:08 +0000

We have an outstanding action to respond to SG13 on this liaison:

Use of term "pseudowire" and definition of stitching function 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/329/>
https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/329/

We need to get this to the ITU by their meeting that starts on the 14th
January.

I have been working with Yaakov Stein, who is on the receiving end of
this liaison, and we propose the following text:

Please can you provide comments by 7th January.

Thanks

Stewart

=====

We would like to thank you for the information on your draft new 
Recommendation.
 
We agree that what you call a Generic Adaptation Layer (GAL) is either
a single segment PW, or a multisegment PW. We would appreciate your using
the term "pseudowire" (PW), and believe that standardizing terminology
is best for the industry.
 
In addition, although the focus of this document is the multisegment case,
we advise adding (for reference) figures prior to Figures 6-1 and 6-2
depicting the single segment case.
 
Furthermore, we feel it would be useful to specifically state that
the subnetwork connection inside the S-IWF can potentially modify
the PW label. Although this is implicit in the switching capability
at the PW layer, this is the new feature of the MS-PW.
 
Regarding your question about the use of a single S-PE or a pair
of S-PEs connected by a simple link, we feel that both cases are possible.
In the MS-PW architecture draft (draft-ietf-pwe3-ms-pw-arch-03.txt)
we differentiate between the intra-provider and inter-provider cases.
The inter-provider reference model of figure 5 of this draft maps to your
Figure 6-3 when "PW segment 2" is a link. On the other hand,
for the intra-provider case, or when two providers have a relationship 
of trust,
the single S-PE case is feasible.
 
=====

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3