Subject: [PWE3] New Draft - Mandatory VCCV Control Channels

From: "Delregno, Christopher N (Nick DelRegno)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:09:54 +0000

PWE3 workgroup:

There is a new internet draft - "Mandatory Features of Virtual Circuit
Connectivity Verification Implementations". 

Unfortunately I missed the submission deadline for the 77th IETF, but
the draft can be downloaded here:
http://www.delregno.com/ietf/draft-delregno-pwe3-vccv-mandatory-features
-00.txt

The goal of this draft is to address the bifurcation which has occurred
in VCCV implementations within the industry.  There appear to be two
primary implementations: 1) RA/CW (CC Type 2 and CC Type 1) and 2) MPLS
PW Label with TTL ==  1 (CC Type 3).  As such, in practice, multivendor
interoperability is difficult, if not impossible, in some service
provider networks.

As such, this draft endeavors to set a baseline of mandatory Control
Channel support to promote, if not ensure, multi-vendor interoperability
for VCCV.

The reason this draft is necessary is that as a SP, we have networks
which comprise equipment from several of the leading switch/router
vendors, and in a few, we cannot use VCCV due to selective vendor
implementation of the VCCV Control Channels.

I would value your input on the draft.  I hope to spend some time in
Anaheim reviewing the need and the proposed solution.  My goal is that
the draft be accepted as a Working Group draft and progressed to RFC.

Thanks,

Nick DelRegno

Christopher N. "Nick" DelRegno, Verizon

CNT, Ethernet Network Architecture & Design

400 International Pkwy

Richardson, TX  75081

Tel:  972-729-3411

Email:  [email-masked]