Subject: [PWE3] Comments on draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-01

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:50:03 -0800

Dear Authors and All,
perhaps my comments will repeat what was already noted by others.

   - Section 1.2, p.4:
      - third paragraph from the top discusses PW receive defects from
      perspective of the PE1. I think that it is PE1 that should be
mentioned in
      "... or PE2's inability to receive traffic on its local AC"
      - second paragraph from the bottom discusses PW transmit defects from
      PE1 perspective. I think that in "... or PE2's inability to
transmit traffic
      on its local AC" should be PE1, not PE2
      - Would "Unavailability of a PSN path in the PW domain to PE2" be
      reflected only as PW Receive Defect but not as PW Transmit
Defect? I'd think
      that both exist but, as stated in the document, the Receive Defect takes
      precedence over the Transmit Defect.
      - Section 3.2, last paragraph. would suggest it reworded like "In case
   when a PW has been administratively disabled or loss of a Targeted LDP
   session to the peer detected, the PE must send Label Withdrawal message
   instead of PW Status Notification."
   - Section 3.3. I would suggest to use more clear IETF forms of "MUST",
   "SHOULD" to outline which defect signaling mechanism is used for particular
   CV type. And I think that, per draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-bfd-07, VCCV CV types
   0x10 and 0x20 will relate to use of PW Status as 0x04 and 0x08 respectively.
   - Section 5.1, first and second paragraphs. Are terms PW Receive Defect
   and PW Forward Defect identical and been used in the document
   interchangeably? (and AC Receive/AC Forward used in Section 5.6 in the same
   manner)
   - Section 5.2, p.10, first paragraph. Reference to VCCV CV type 0x20
   (non-IP encapsulation of BFD for defect detection and AC/PW fault status
   signaling) can be added.
   - Section 5.6, p.11, second paragraph; Section 5.7. p.12 Same as for
   Section 5.2 - consider adding reference to VCCV CV type 0x20

Regards,
Greg