Subject: [PWE3] FW: RFC 4448

From: "Sprecher, Nurit (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 08:42:00 +0200

Hi Luca,

I have some questions about RFC 4448, and will appreciate your response.

*         The document refers to Service-delimiting and non
service-delimiting configuration on the CE-PE interface. Is it only
relevant at the Ingress PE? What about the Egress PE? It seems that the
document differentiate between the cases only at the Ingress PE. Is it
so?

*         The document allows for more than one 802.1Q tags. How such a
situation is possible? The IEEE802.1Q supports only one tag.

*         Usually SP tag is implemented using 802.1ad S-tag. However
the documents considers service-delimiting tag (which is placed on the
frame by some piece of service provider-operated equipment) as 802.1Q
tag. It seems that the document refers to 802.1Q tag only and not to
802.1ad S-tag. Is that correct? Why 802.1ad tags are not considered by
the document? 

*         Can we have a situation where the configuration is
service-delimiting tag, and no tag exists on a frame coming from the CE?

*         When a PE gets a tagged frame, how can the PE identify that
the tag was really inserted by a SP equipment and it is not a customer
tag? Is it just that it relies on the configuration?

*         Assuming that the CE is connected to the PE via a MEF UNI, the
frame is always 802.1Q and is considered as a customer tag. In such a
case is it true that the CE/PE interface must be configured as non
service-delimiting? If so, it seems that many of the options in the
document are not applicable (assuming standard IEEE behavior J).

Thanks and best regards,

Nurit