Subject: [PWE3] question on draft-kini-pwe3-pkt-encap-efficient-ip-mpls-00.txt

From: Yong Lucy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:53:41 -0500

Hi Srig and David,

Comment: The proposal of PPW-EIM is quite different from RFC4448 in case of
carrying IP traffic. If customer is a date center, from customer
perspective, its IP traffic sent from DCA to DCB will have DCB's CE MAC
address before entering DCB, and vise versa. However, Ethernet OAM PDU will
have its original MAC address. Thus, DCA CE and DCB CE act as a GW for IP
traffic, but not OAM PDUs. This requires CE as a special device (GW), not
just a bridge, isn't? Does it impact Ethernet OAM function in customer
network?

Regards,

Lucy

---

From: Sriganesh Kini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 18:31:24 -0400

Lucy,

Note that this is for p2p. It should not impact Ethernet OAM function in customer network. Not clear on why you said that CE is required to be a special device (GW). Can you elaborate?

- Sri

________________________________
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Yong Lucy
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 2:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [PWE3] question on draft-kini-pwe3-pkt-encap-efficient-ip-mpls-00.txt

Hi Srig and David,

Comment: The proposal of PPW-EIM is quite different from RFC4448 in case of carrying IP traffic. If customer is a date center, from customer perspective, its IP traffic sent from DCA to DCB will have DCB's CE MAC address before entering DCB, and vise versa. However, Ethernet OAM PDU will have its original MAC address. Thus, DCA CE and DCB CE act as a GW for IP traffic, but not OAM PDUs. This requires CE as a special device (GW), not just a bridge, isn't? Does it impact Ethernet OAM function in customer network?

Regards,
Lucy

---

From: Yong Lucy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:40:09 -0500

Hi Sri,

If customer network is a data center that has hosts and bridges, can it use
the solution to link two locations?

Since PW-bound strips Ethernet header off and CE-bound inserts CE MAC
address into Ethernet frames, the host or bridge behind CE (in customer
network) only learns CE only. 

Lucy

  _____  

From: Sriganesh Kini [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 5:31 PM
To: Yong Lucy; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [PWE3] question
ondraft-kini-pwe3-pkt-encap-efficient-ip-mpls-00.txt

Lucy,

Note that this is for p2p. It should not impact Ethernet OAM function in
customer network. Not clear on why you said that CE is required to be a
special device (GW). Can you elaborate?

- Sri 

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Yong
Lucy
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 2:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [PWE3] question on
draft-kini-pwe3-pkt-encap-efficient-ip-mpls-00.txt

Hi Srig and David,

Regards,

Lucy

---

From: Sriganesh Kini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:33:18 -0400

Lucy,

This is for a 'packet-service' that is p2p . So for the IP/MPLS packets of a single service instance there must be a single service termination end-point MAC addr on each end of the p2p service.

However there can be bridges to aggregate multiple p2p service-instances before hand-off to the PE. e.g. typically a vlan (having 2 hosts - one on each end of the service) may be used for each p2p packet-service instance and multiple vlans may be aggregated by a bridge before handoff to the PE. Note that each VLAN will be mapped to a separate PPW in this case.

- Sri

________________________________
From: Yong Lucy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 9:40 AM
To: Sriganesh Kini; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [PWE3] question ondraft-kini-pwe3-pkt-encap-efficient-ip-mpls-00.txt

Hi Sri,

If customer network is a data center that has hosts and bridges, can it use the solution to link two locations?

Since PW-bound strips Ethernet header off and CE-bound inserts CE MAC address into Ethernet frames, the host or bridge behind CE (in customer network) only learns CE only.

Lucy

Subject: RE: [PWE3] question ondraft-kini-pwe3-pkt-encap-efficient-ip-mpls-00.txt

Lucy,

- Sri

Regards,
Lucy

---

From: Yong Lucy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:30:01 -0500

Sri,

See inline.

Thanks,

Lucy

  _____  

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 12:33 PM

Lucy,

This is for a 'packet-service' that is p2p . So for the IP/MPLS packets of a
single service instance there must be a single service termination end-point
MAC addr on each end of the p2p service.

[LY] Understand this scenario.

However there can be bridges to aggregate multiple p2p service-instances
before hand-off to the PE. e.g. typically a vlan (having 2 hosts - one on
each end of the service) may be used for each p2p packet-service instance
and multiple vlans may be aggregated by a bridge before handoff to the PE.
Note that each VLAN will be mapped to a separate PPW in this case.

[LY] Does it mean that AC between CE and PE may be supported over some
bridges?  

- Sri 

  _____  

Hi Sri,

Lucy

  _____  

Lucy,

- Sri 

  _____  

Hi Srig and David,

Regards,

Lucy

---

From: Sriganesh Kini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:08:43 -0400

Yes.

- Sri

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 11:30 AM

Sri,

See inline.

Thanks,
Lucy

Lucy,

However there can be bridges to aggregate multiple p2p service-instances before hand-off to the PE. e.g. typically a vlan (having 2 hosts - one on each end of the service) may be used for each p2p packet-service instance and multiple vlans may be aggregated by a bridge before handoff to the PE. Note that each VLAN will be mapped to a separate PPW in this case.
[LY] Does it mean that AC between CE and PE may be supported over some bridges?

- Sri

Lucy

Lucy,

- Sri

Regards,
Lucy