Subject: [PWE3] S-PE bypass mode in draft-ietf-pwe3-static-pw-status-04

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:38:06 +0800

Dear authors,
I have a concern for the S-PE bypass mode. If one PW segment using LDP 
control plane is in graceful restart state, then how to send the PW status 
codes defined in section 5.5 for S-PE? These PW status may be discarded, 
because the control plane may be down or in recovering state.

Hope to see the clarification, thank you.

Regards
Lizhong

--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam system.

---

From: Luca Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:14:57 -0600

On 06/13/2011 06:38 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> because the control plane may be down or in recovering state
I do not believe that graceful restart is supported , not should it be
supported for PW.
The problem is very different for PWs that it is for IP label bindings.
Graceful restart as it is today can actually cause service interruptions
to PWs, and cause problems.

S-PE bypass mode is end to end only, so S-PE do not see/process  the
inband ACH OAM messages.
Luca

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:41:26 +0800

Luca,
Thank you for the clarification. I got some misunderstanding. Then the 
feature in section 5.5.1 is only for the first or last PW segment, hope to 
make it more clear, like: "When the first/last PW Segment along an MS-PW 
is using..."

In section 2: "Where an LDP control plane exists, this MUST be used for 
signaling all PW status messages with the exception of those specified in 
[REDUNDANCY]."
The description is not accurate, for the exception will also include local 
AC fault.

Regards
Lizhong

---

From: Luca Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 21:36:14 -0600

> make it more clear, like: "When the first/last PW Segment along an MS-PW 
Yes, i'll add a clarification.
> The description is not accurate, for the exception will also include local 
I cannot find this text in section 2.

however in section 4 , I see that we need to update the text there.

Thanks!
Luca