Subject: [PWE3] draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-04.txt

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 12:31:52 +0100

I have just emailed draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-04.txt to [email-masked]

I have run a diff and edited out the minor (English/typos)
editorial changes.

The following are the technical diffs.

Provided there is consensus for these changes, I will send the
draft back to Mark on June 10th.

- Stewart

***** draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-03.txt
    incorrect processing of packets carried within a PW, PW packets
    carried over an MPLS PSN SHOULD NOT start with the value 4 (IPv4) or
    the value 6 (IPv6) in the first nibble [BCP], as those are assumed
***** DRAFT-IETF-PWE3-CW-04.TXT
    incorrect processing of packets carried within a PW, PW packets
    carried over an MPLS PSN MUST NOT start with the value 4 (IPv4) or
    the value 6 (IPv6) in the first nibble [BCP], as those are assumed
*****

***** draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-03.txt
    payload to select the ECMP path SHOULD employ the PW MPLS Control
    Word described in Section 3 for data, and the PW Associated Channel
    Header described in Section 4 for channel associated traffic. These
    Control Words MUST immediately follow the bottom of the MPLS label
    stack.

***** DRAFT-IETF-PWE3-CW-04.TXT
    payload to select the ECMP path SHOULD employ the PW MPLS Control
    Word described in Section 3 for data, or the PW Associated Channel
    Header described in Section 4 for channel associated traffic. The
    PWE3 Control Word or the PW Associated Channel Header MUST
    immediately follow the bottom of the MPLS label stack.

*****

***** draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-03.txt
    When a PWMCW is used, it MUST adhere to the Generic MPLS Control
    Word format as illustrated in Figure 1 above. It is however strongly
    recommended that it also follows the following format:

***** DRAFT-IETF-PWE3-CW-04.TXT
    When a PWMCW is used, it MUST adhere to the Generic MPLS Control
    Word format as illustrated in Figure 1 above. It SHOULD also follow
    the following format:

*****

***** draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-03.txt

           These bits are available for per-payload signalling.  Their
           definition is encapsulation specific as defined in
           [pointer?].

***** DRAFT-IETF-PWE3-CW-04.TXT

           These bits are available for per-payload signaling.

*****

***** draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-03.txt

***** DRAFT-IETF-PWE3-CW-04.TXT

           When the PSN path between the PEs includes an Ethernet, the
           PW packet arriving at the CE-bound PE from the PSN may

*****

***** draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-03.txt

INTERNET DRAFT   PWE3 Control Word for use over an MPLS PSN   Mar 2005

           The value of the length field, if non-zero, can be used to
           remove any padding added by the PSN. If the entire packet
           length is less than 64 bytes, the length field MUST be set to
           the length of the PW payload plus the length of the control
           word. Otherwise it MUST be set to zero.

           If a non-zero length field is received, the PW payload MUST
           be trimmed if required.

***** DRAFT-IETF-PWE3-CW-04.TXT

INTERNET DRAFT   PWE3 Control Word for use over an MPLS PSN   Jun 2005

           include padding appended by the Ethernet data link layer. The
           CE-bound PE uses the length field to determine the size of
           the padding added by the PSN, and hence extract the PW
           payload from the PW packet.

           If the entire packet length is less than 64 bytes, the length
           field MUST be set to the length of the PW payload plus the
           length of the control word. Otherwise it MUST be set to zero.

*****

***** draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-03.txt

           If the sequence number is not used, it is set to zero by the
           sender and ignored by the receiver.  Otherwise it specifies
           the sequence number of a packet.  A circular list of sequence
           numbers is used.  A sequence number takes a value from 1 to
           65535 (2**16-1). The sequence number window size for packet
           acceptance is dependent on the parameters of both the PW and
           the MPLS PSN, and SHOULD be configurable. The mechanism used
           by the decapsulating PE to syncronise the expected sequence
           number with the received sequence number is implementation
           dependent.

4.   PW Associated Channel

***** DRAFT-IETF-PWE3-CW-04.TXT

           The sequence number implements the sequencing function
           [RFC3985]. The definition of this field is PW specific.

   PW Associated Channel

*****

***** draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-03.txt

           Format ID for the remaining 3 octets of the header. A FmtID
           of 0 indicates that the 3 octets are as shown in Figure 3.

***** DRAFT-IETF-PWE3-CW-04.TXT

           This is the Format Identifier for the remaining 3 octets of
           the header. A Format Identifier value of 0 indicates that the
           3 octets are as shown in Figure 3.

*****

***** draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-03.txt

***** DRAFT-IETF-PWE3-CW-04.TXT

           MUST be sent as 0, and ignored on reception.

    Channel Type:

           The PW Associated Channel Type is defined in the IANA PW
           Associated Channel Type registry [IANA].

*****

***** draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-03.txt

INTERNET DRAFT   PWE3 Control Word for use over an MPLS PSN   Mar 2005

           Must be sent as 0, and ignored on reception.

    Channel Type:

           The PW Associated Channel Type is defined in the IANA PW
           Associated Channel Type registry [IANA].

    Bits 0..3 MUST be 0x01, and hence differ from the first four bits of
    an IP packet [BCP]. This provides the necessary MPLS payload
    discrimination.

    Note that L2TPv3 [REFERENCE] has its own mechanisms for providing
    this associated channel, and is therefore out of the scope of this
    document.
***** DRAFT-IETF-PWE3-CW-04.TXT

INTERNET DRAFT   PWE3 Control Word for use over an MPLS PSN   Jun 2005

    Bits 0..3 MUST be 0001. This allows the packet the packet to be
    distinguished from an IP packet [BCP] and from a PWE3 data packet.

    Note that L2TPv3 [RFC3931] has its own mechanisms for providing this
    associated channel, and is therefore out of the scope of this
    document.
*****

***** draft-ietf-pwe3-cw-03.txt

***** DRAFT-IETF-PWE3-CW-04.TXT

    IANA also needs to set up a registry of "Pseudowire Format
    Identifiers". These are 4-bit values. Registry entries are assigned
    by using the "IETF Consensus" policy defined in [RFC2434].

*****

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3