Subject: [Qirg] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-kaws-qirg-advent-01.txt

From: Melchior Aelmans <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 20:37:21 +0100

Hi all,

We've consolidated quite some feedback from the last IEFT meeting and from
the mailing list.
Your feedback is again appreciated and welcome.

Regards,
Melchior

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 8:35 PM
Subject: I-D Action: draft-kaws-qirg-advent-01.txt
To: <[email-masked]>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Advertising Entanglement Capabilities in Quantum
Networks
        Authors         : Kireeti Kompella
                          Melchior Aelmans
                          Stephanie Wehner
                          Cristian Sirbu
                          Axel Dahlberg
        Filename        : draft-kaws-qirg-advent-01.txt
        Pages           : 16
        Date            : 2018-12-20

Abstract:
   This document describes the use of link-state routing protocols on
   classical links in Quantum Networks.  It contains proposals for
   additions to the IS-IS and OSPF protocols in order for them to
   transport relevant information for a Quantum Network, specifically,
   for the creation and manipulation of entangled pairs.  The document
   will describe some of the necessary attributes and some suggestions
   of how this information may be used.

   No Schrodinger's cats were harmed in the creation of this document.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kaws-qirg-advent/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kaws-qirg-advent-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kaws-qirg-advent-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kaws-qirg-advent-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Patrick Gelard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 21:16:06 +0100

Hi,

in introduction it is written :

    Once an EP is created, the state of one particle (*"quantum bit"
    or   qubit*) of an EP can be transferred to another qubit within the
    same   QN ...

This RFC seem to be based upon only discrete-variable “qubit” systems. I 
didn't see any references about “qumodes” most naturally represented by 
continuous quantum variables such as amplitude and phase.

I read that In quantum optics, the corresponding photonic systems would 
consist of just a few photons or they would correspond to fields with 
extremely high mean photon numbers, respectively. The qubit may then be 
represented by the polarization of a single photon, while a qumode state 
is encoded into an infinite-dimensional phase space. Entangled states 
can be defined, formulated, and experimentally realized in either 
dimension, including their use for quantum teleportation.

is this draft, about control plan, also relevant for continuous variables ?

/Patrick

Le 20/12/2018 à 20:37, Melchior Aelmans a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> We've consolidated quite some feedback from the last IEFT meeting and 
> from the mailing list.
> From: <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> To: <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
>
>
>
>         Title           : Advertising Entanglement Capabilities in 
> Quantum Networks
> until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org 
> <http://tools.ietf.org>.
>
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> Qirg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/qirg

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

---

From: Melchior Aelmans <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 21:04:21 +0100

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for reading the draft and commenting!

As being from the "classical networking" side I'm focussing indeed more on
the controle plane side of things.
So my question would be, how much difference is there between forming
entanglement in continuous-variable quantum computation and quantum
computation using qubits?
Could the same data fields (information) be use to advertise
the entanglement Capabilities of the nodes on the quantum side?
If so then yes this could be relevant for continuous variables. If not we
have to discus what would be needed.

I'm looking forward to your ideas!

Cheers,
Melchior

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 9:16 PM Patrick Gelard <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Once an EP is created, the state of one particle (*"quantum bit" or
> qubit*) of an EP can be transferred to another qubit within the same   QN
> ...
>
> represented by the polarization of a single photon, while a qumode state is
> encoded into an infinite-dimensional phase space. Entangled states can be
> defined, formulated, and experimentally realized in either dimension,
> including their use for quantum teleportation.
>
> Qirg mailing [email-masked]://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/qirg
>
>
>
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Garanti
> sans virus. www.avast.com
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
> <#m_-7231888844967061688_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>

---

From: Patrick Gelard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 15:38:09 +0100

Hi Melchior

 >>As being from the "classical networking"

Me too.  I am self-taught in the field of quantum information processing 
and communication (QIPC) with continuous variables.

I don't know if the use of continuous variables leads to different 
distillation protocols and would require different control protocols.
What I understood  is that the traditional telecommunication industry 
uses intense light fields which is more compatible with continuous 
variable (CV) encoding into phase space degrees of freedom (reuse the 
same equipment) then with  implementations that are realized  under 
coherent light / single photons with a discrete variable (DV). CV 
requires homodyne detector ( it allows technologically simple, efficient 
and high frequency implementations)  instead of single-photon detectors.

Regarding entanglement, in this lecture( https://youtu.be/V5ndOwQan7c ) 
about quantum optics ( quantification of electromagnetic field that 
leads to continuous variables : quadrature amplitudes of a mode of the 
electromagnetic field (the quadrature amplitudes are the real and 
imaginary parts of the complex electric field)), Claude Fabre from LKB 
says that in some way entanglement isn't intrinsic. It depend on the way 
you look at the mode !

The same quantum state |Ψ> could have different expressions in different 
mode bases : factorized state or entangled state. For example Page 10 of 
http://gdriqfa.unice.fr/IMG/pdf/fabre_ens.pdf which is a support of the 
video  :

|Ψ> = |1 : fx> ⊗ |1 : fy> which is not entangled state on the basis of 
polarization modes fx fy
The same state |Ψ> can also be written : |2 : g45>⊗ |0 : g-45> - |0 : 
g45>⊗ |1 : g-45> which is an entangled state on the basis of 
polarization modes g45 g-45

/Patrick

Le 27/12/2018 à 21:04, Melchior Aelmans a écrit :
> As being from the "classical networking" side I'm focussing indeed 
> more on the controle plane side of things.
> If so then yes this could be relevant for continuous variables. If not 
> we have to discus what would be needed.
>
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 9:16 PM Patrick Gelard 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>         Once an EP is created, the state of one particle (*"quantum
>         bit" or   qubit*) of an EP can be transferred to another qubit
>         within the same   QN ...
>
>     This RFC seem to be based upon only discrete-variable “qubit”
>     systems. I didn't see any references about “qumodes” most
>     naturally represented by continuous quantum variables such as
>     amplitude and phase.
>
>     I read that In quantum optics, the corresponding photonic systems
>     would consist of just a few photons or they would correspond to
>     fields with extremely high mean photon numbers, respectively. The
>     qubit may then be represented by the polarization of a single
>     photon, while a qumode state is encoded into an
>     infinite-dimensional phase space. Entangled states can be defined,
>     formulated, and experimentally realized in either dimension,
>>     We've consolidated quite some feedback from the last IEFT meeting
>>     and from the mailing list.
>>     A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line
>>     Internet-Drafts directories.
>>
>>
>>             Title           : Advertising Entanglement Capabilities
>>     in Quantum Networks
>>     until the htmlized version and diff are available at
>>     tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org>.
>>
>>     [email-masked]  <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     	Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

---