Subject: Re: [QOS_INBAND] next steps?

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:54:52 +0100

Hi,

Sorry, If I came through as a bit harsh. Also my memory clearly failed 
me. As I said in the previous mail I am a bit hesitant to put things 
into NSIS as they haven't been making particular good progress. However 
some form of short heads-up thing may be reasonable within NSIS. Holding 
some form of well announced Bar-BOF seems to me a reasonable step 
forward. Lets continue the discussion on what the best ways forward are.

Cheers

Magnus

McGeer, Patrick C skrev:
> Magnus,
> As I recall, we discussed discussing this in NSIS in Prague, and having
> a "bar BoF" there, in preparation for a BoF in Chicago.  John Loughney
> was certainly agreeable to discussing this in NSIS, and a number of
> people at he meeting in San Diego (John Loughney and Scott Brim, in
> particular) strongly suggested that in addition to the steps of forming
> a discussion list, that we spend at least one more IETF meeting
> socializing the idea before pursuing a BoF, and that NSIS was the
> correct venue to start in because there were many others in that group
> interested in the same issues.  Both John Harper and I are happy to do
> this -- while we're understandably eager to move forward, we also feel
> that it's extremely important to do this the right way within IETF,
> respecting IETF's procedures and culture, and, most important, fitting
> this work in the context of ongoing work within IETF.  NSIS and
> QuickStart are two of the most prominent examples.
> 
> Cheers
> Rick
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Magnus Westerlund [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:59 AM
> To: John Harper
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [QOS_INBAND] next steps?
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Some comments.
> 
> John Harper skrev:
>> Lars,
>>
>> When we discussed this in San Diego, I believe the agreement was that 
>> some time would be scheduled in NSIS to look at the requirements for 
>> this work, and I was about to get in touch with John Loughney to ask 
>> about this when I got your mail.
> 
> I can't remember any agreement on taking work or even a requirements
> discussion into NSIS. Talking with the people active in that group is
> certainly fine. However as responsible AD for NSIS I don't want any
> proposals around this to be handled in NSIS. There are several reasons
> for this. You proposal has major impact on the infrastructure and needs
> to be discussed openly with good attendance of people from different
> fields. Thus a real BOF is needed before any real work can be taken on. 
> Putting this discussion into NSIS would hide it from many that would
> need to participate in this. Secondly, NSIS should focus on resolving
> its own issues so that it can finish the currently ongoing work. I don't
> want time taken away from their agenda.
> 
> My memory of the agreement was that you should update the drafts,
> continue build interest and set together a BOF for these topics. As we
> stated in San Diego you needed to get on this directly. As this hasn't
> happened I think you will have to focus on building some interest with
> key persons, maybe hold a bar-BOF to discuss things.
> 
> 
> Cheers
> 
> Magnus Westerlund
> 
> IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
> Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
> S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> QOS_INBAND mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/qos_inband
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
QOS_INBAND mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/qos_inband