Subject: [QUIC] HTTP/2 on M-QUIC- fallback to MPTCP?

From: Göran Eriksson AP <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 21:54:08 +0000

Hi,

The use of HTTP/2 on Multipath-QUIC is now in the scope of the proposed
charter and fall back from QUIC to TCP may sometimes be necessary.

Should thus HTTP/2 on MP-TCP also be a possibility and worked on?

Thoughts on this?

Regards
Göran

---

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 00:57:21 +0200

I would say this is a question for the mptcp list… and they plan to discussion re-chartering in Berlin.

Mirja

> Am 17.06.2016 um 23:54 schrieb Göran Eriksson AP <[email-masked]>:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> QUIC mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/quic

---

From: Yoshifumi Nishida <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 16:59:48 -0700

Hi,

If both endpoints's kernel support MPTCP, they can choose to use
MPTCP whenever they open a TCP connection.
So, HTTP/2 on MPTCP might already exist in the wild. (MPTCP is not a new
transport protocol. It's an extension to TCP)
But, it will be a fun topic to discuss for optimization or some other
purposes.If some people have already tried and found something, we might
want to hear from them.

Thanks,
--
Yoshi

---

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 11:51:54 +0200

Hello,
> Should thus HTTP/2 on MP-TCP also be a possibility and worked on?

Fallback to TCP implies fallback to any TCP extension that can be 
negotiated during the three-way handshake, including RFC1323, SACK, 
MPTCP or tcpcrypt.

HTTP/2 over MP-TCP has clear benefits compared to HTTP/1.0 over MPTCP 
since there are fewer transport connections and these will carry more 
data, giving time for the MPTCP subflows to correctly utilise the 
available paths.

Olivier

-- 

------------------------------
DISCLAIMER.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended 
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. 
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. 
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the 
individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not 
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender 
immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and 
delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient 
you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any 
action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly 
prohibited.