Subject: Notes on draft-kuehlewind-quic-manageability-00.txt

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 09:18:28 -0500

S 3.1 says:

   Stateful network devices such as firewalls use exposed header
   information to support state setup and tear-down.
   [I-D.trammell-plus-statefulness] provides a general model for in-
   network state management on these devices, independent of transport
   protocol.  Features already present in QUIC may be used for state
   maintenance in this model.  Here, there are two important goals:
   distinguishing valid QUIC connection establishment from other
   traffic, in order to establish state; and determining the end of a
   QUIC connection, in order to tear that state down.

   1-RTT connection establishment, using a TLS handshake on stream 0, is
   detectable using heuristics similar to those used to detect TLS over
   TCP. 0-RTT connection establishment, however, provides no particular
   heuristic for differentiation from random background traffic at this
   time.

This is not correct. TLS 1.3 0-RTT connection establishment looks like
TLS 1.3 1-RTT connection establishment, so it's identifiable in the
same way.

-Ekr

---

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 09:25:51 -0500

Yes, that’s a an error. I believe Martin mentioned that already.

Mirja

> Am 30.03.2017 um 09:18 schrieb Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>:
> 
>  S 3.1 says:
>