Subject: QUIC experiments with forward error correction

From: Simone Ferlin-Oliveira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 21:04:18 +0200

Dear all,

I have been following QUIC's implementation for some time, and in an
old thread of earlier experiments (~IETF'88) [1,2], J. Roskind
mentioned some experiments with XOR-FEC that resulted in bad
performance with YouTube traffic.

I went through the current repo, and couldn't find much about it - it
looks there is some dead code with some FEC definitions, or are there
any plans to revive the topic [3,4]?
If there are no plans to revive it, does anybody remember anything
about it from the tsvarea?

I would be interested in the implementation of the XOR-FEC, how it was
experimented inside QUIC.

[1]: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/proto-quic/Z5qKkk2XZe0
[2]: https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/88/slides/slides-88-tsvarea-10.pdf
[3]: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hamilton-early-deployment-quic-00
[4]: https://github.com/google/proto-quic/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=FEC&type=

Cheers,
Simone