Subject: IETF 99 QUIC First Implementation Draft hackathon

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 07:37:34 -0400

QUIC-folk,

We have been added to the prague hackathon
https://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/doku.php?id=99hackathon&#technologies_included_in_hackathon_more_can_be_added
.
The first implementation draft
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/wiki/First-Implementation-Draft is
clearly in scope - but if you have more, bring more!

This event happens the weekend before IETF week - July 15 and 16 at the
Prague Hilton. All are welcome - I have confirmed you do not need to be
registered for the week. However you should register (the link to register
is on the above link). If you can come, it would be great if you could send
me an email to let me know. We'll presumably use the quic jabber space as
well.

If you haven't been to one of these before, its pretty simple. Space and
power for like minded folks to work on their code and try some interop.
There are some very brief presentations and report outs. You don't have to
be done to attend, indeed its a great forum to make some progress and test
our your understanding of the specification to help us make the text
stronger

The contribution guidelines are helpful to know - your code remains your
code, but discussion of the protocol is an IETF contribution.
"IPR and Code Contribution Guideline

All hackathon participants are free to work on any code. The rules
regarding that code are what each participant's organization and/or open
source project says they are. The code itself is not an IETF Contribution.
However, discussions, presentations, demos, etc., during the hackathon are
IETF Contributions (similar to Contributions made in working group
meetings). Thus, the usual IETF policies apply to these Contributions,
including copyright, license, and IPR disclosure rules"
-Patrick

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 18:47:19 +0000

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for setting this up!

As a non-implementor I might be interested in the support tooling side of things, for instance how to bring up to speed Wireshark to decrypt and dissect IETF QUIC. (Hint: key logging)

I attended the 98 Hackathon and would like to emphasise how the event is very much focused on cooperation and communication.

For those that cant attend in person, remote working is feasible but don't expect typical IETF remote capability. We are talking more like Jabber and GitHub, however it works rather well when people in a suitable timezones can contribute when the room is locked up. 

Lucas
________________________________________
From: QUIC [[email-masked]] on behalf of Patrick McManus [[email-masked]]
Sent: 18 June 2017 12:37
To: IETF QUIC WG
Subject: IETF 99 QUIC First Implementation Draft hackathon

QUIC-folk,

We have been added to the prague hackathon https://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/doku.php?id=99hackathon&#technologies_included_in_hackathon_more_can_be_added .
The first implementation draft https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/wiki/First-Implementation-Draft is clearly in scope - but if you have more, bring more!

This event happens the weekend before IETF week - July 15 and 16 at the Prague Hilton. All are welcome - I have confirmed you do not need to be registered for the week. However you should register (the link to register is on the above link). If you can come, it would be great if you could send me an email to let me know. We'll presumably use the quic jabber space as well.

If you haven't been to one of these before, its pretty simple. Space and power for like minded folks to work on their code and try some interop. There are some very brief presentations and report outs. You don't have to be done to attend, indeed its a great forum to make some progress and test our your understanding of the specification to help us make the text stronger

The contribution guidelines are helpful to know - your code remains your code, but discussion of the protocol is an IETF contribution.
"IPR and Code Contribution Guideline

All hackathon participants are free to work on any code. The rules regarding that code are what each participant's organization and/or open source project says they are. The code itself is not an IETF Contribution. However, discussions, presentations, demos, etc., during the hackathon are IETF Contributions (similar to Contributions made in working group meetings). Thus, the usual IETF policies apply to these Contributions, including copyright, license, and IPR disclosure rules"

-Patrick

-----------------------------
http://www.bbc.co.uk
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and 
may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
If you have received it in 
error, please delete it from your system.
Do not use, copy or disclose the 
information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender 
immediately.
Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails 
sent or received.
Further communication will signify your consent to 
this.
-----------------------------

---

From: Lucas Clemente <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 10:47:00 +0000

We (quic-go) won't be able to make it to Prague, but I'm open to
remote-attend the hackathon. We probably won't start working on our -04
fork until then though :/

On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 at 20:47 Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]> wrote:

> As a non-implementor I might be interested in the support tooling side of
> things, for instance how to bring up to speed Wireshark to decrypt and
> dissect IETF QUIC. (Hint: key logging)
>
> I attended the 98 Hackathon and would like to emphasise how the event is
> very much focused on cooperation and communication.
>
> For those that cant attend in person, remote working is feasible but don't
> expect typical IETF remote capability. We are talking more like Jabber and
> GitHub, however it works rather well when people in a suitable timezones
> can contribute when the room is locked up.
>
> Lucas

---

From: Joerg Ott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 06:49:02 -0400

I am chairing the Applied Networking Research Workshop on that Saturday,
which runs 9-17.  So I won't be able to participate either.  But maybe
there is a chance to continue on Sunday?

Jörg

On 20.06.17 06:47, Lucas Clemente wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 at 20:47 Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Patrick,
>
>     As a non-implementor I might be interested in the support tooling
>     side of things, for instance how to bring up to speed Wireshark to
>     decrypt and dissect IETF QUIC. (Hint: key logging)
>
>     I attended the 98 Hackathon and would like to emphasise how the
>     event is very much focused on cooperation and communication.
>
>     For those that cant attend in person, remote working is feasible but
>     don't expect typical IETF remote capability. We are talking more
>     like Jabber and GitHub, however it works rather well when people in
>     a suitable timezones can contribute when the room is locked up.
>
>     Lucas
>     From: QUIC [[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>] on
>     behalf of Patrick McManus [[email-masked]
>     <mailto:[email-masked]>]
>     Sent: 18 June 2017 12:37
>     To: IETF QUIC WG
>     This event happens the weekend before IETF week - July 15 and 16 at
>     the Prague Hilton. All are welcome - I have confirmed you do not
>     need to be registered for the week. However you should register (the
>     link to register is on the above link). If you can come, it would be
>     great if you could send me an email to let me know. We'll presumably
>     use the quic jabber space as well.
>
>     If you haven't been to one of these before, its pretty simple. Space
>     and power for like minded folks to work on their code and try some
>     interop. There are some very brief presentations and report outs.
>     You don't have to be done to attend, indeed its a great forum to
>     make some progress and test our your understanding of the
>     specification to help us make the text stronger
>
>     The contribution guidelines are helpful to know - your code remains
>     your code, but discussion of the protocol is an IETF contribution.
>     regarding that code are what each participant's organization and/or
>     open source project says they are. The code itself is not an IETF
>     Contribution. However, discussions, presentations, demos, etc.,
>     during the hackathon are IETF Contributions (similar to
>     Contributions made in working group meetings). Thus, the usual IETF
>     policies apply to these Contributions, including copyright, license,
>     and IPR disclosure rules"
>
>     -Patrick
>
>
>
>