Subject: Legacy HTTP gateways

From: Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 16:08:29 -0500

Say you only want to only implement a site based on the QUIC/HTTP protocol
but you still want to support legacy HTTP and possibly HTTP/2 through a
gateway. Or alternatively you might even want to always use legacy
protocols via a frontend load balancer and only use QUIC to bridge the gap
from an external load balancer into a secure network.

Does the current QUIC/HTTP design process take this into account?

For example a gateway might accept HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 and forward to
QUIC/HTTP but may not support all features such as PUSH.

Kind Regards,
Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 11:55:43 +1100

Are you talking about the design or the process by which we produce the design?

The process takes all inputs.  And I know that people are building
gateways just like you describe.  We have had requirements from them
already.  For instance, the ability to disable server push is a
feature we have from HTTP/2 that was driven by similar requirements.

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 8:08 AM, Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> gateway. Or alternatively you might even want to always use legacy protocols
> via a frontend load balancer and only use QUIC to bridge the gap from an
> external load balancer into a secure network.
>
> For example a gateway might accept HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 and forward to QUIC/HTTP
> but may not support all features such as PUSH.
>
>
> Kind Regards,
> Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen
>

---

From: Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 03:10:28 -0500

Are you talking about the design or the process by which we produce the
design?

In-between: if the editors are aware of the mentioned concerns and consider
addressing these if not already in the design?

Your reply covers this nicely, thanks.

Kind Regards,
Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen

On 4 December 2017 at 01.55.44, Martin Thomson ([email-masked])
wrote:

Are you talking about the design or the process by which we produce the
design?

> gateway. Or alternatively you might even want to always use legacy
protocols
> For example a gateway might accept HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 and forward to
QUIC/HTTP