Subject: EXTENSION frame

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 12:05:52 +1100

This came up several times, and I think that having a pressure relief
valve is a nice thing.  We found this extremely valuable in h2 and the
obvious design is pretty simple.

I expect that people will want to talk about the IANA policy that I've proposed.

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1068

---

From: Victor Vasiliev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 22:09:15 -0500

Is there a reason we can't go with TLS-style extension negotiation in the
handshake?  This would allow fatal errors on unknown extension frames, and
would save the peers the effort of sending things that are not supported.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 15:02:38 +1100

Creating reasons to tear down connections doesn't seem like a goal.

If you are concerned about the need to send things that the other side
doesn't support, then by all means negotiate the use of an extension
before sending it.  This only makes it *possible* to send something
without first negotiating support.

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 05:09:14 +0100

> without first negotiating support.

Indeed, that's exactly what TCP does and the level of interoperability
is extremely good, without requiring to break connections and try again.

Willy