Subject: QUIC Version 101?

From: Jan Rüth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 13:33:53 +0000

Hi,

I’m currently running a scan for QUIC draft-17 in IPv4 to see if there is already some -17 out there and what else typically comes back.

I'm exercise the version negotiation feature by announcing a reserved version (i.e., 0x?A?A?A?A).

The scan has not finished but I already got something back that looks odd, see:

{ "info": "Version negotiation", "saddr": "52.194.216.43", "classification": "quic-draft17", "versions": "00000065,1A1A3A8A", "success": 1 }
{ "info": "Version negotiation", "saddr": "97.64.19.54", "classification": "quic-draft17", "versions": "FA4A7AEA,00000065", "success": 1 }
{ "info": "Version negotiation", "saddr": "52.198.3.222", "classification": "quic-draft17", "versions": "00000065,DA7A0AFA", "success": 1 }
{ "info": "Version negotiation", "saddr": "37.187.55.144", "classification": "quic-draft17", "versions": "00000065,1AFABA0A", "success": 1 }
{ "info": "Version negotiation", "saddr": "203.189.97.66", "classification": "quic-draft17", "versions": "00000065,0AFA9A7A", "success": 1 }
{ "info": "Version negotiation", "saddr": "47.74.231.161", "classification": "quic-draft17", "versions": "6A1A0A6A,00000065", "success": 1 }
{ "info": "Version negotiation", "saddr": "144.34.160.50", "classification": "quic-draft17", "versions": "00000065,2AEAEA2A", "success": 1 }
{ "info": "Version negotiation", "saddr": "153.120.180.230", "classification": "quic-draft17", "versions": "8A4ACACA,00000065", "success": 1 }
{ "info": "Version negotiation", "saddr": "149.28.93.123", "classification": "quic-draft17", "versions": "00000065,9A9A1AFA", "success": 1 }

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what version 0x00000065 (decimal: 101) is. I thought 0x00000001 to 0x0000ffff was reserved for standardized versions.
Apart from this, they all generate a draft-17 compliant version negotiation packet.

Best 
 Jan

---

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 08:56:45 -0500

I poked a couple of those and indeed, these are the version
negotiation packets that come back.  One thing I noticed is
that the ?A?A?A?A version included in the list of supported
version changes on every response.

  - Dmitri.

---

From: Jan Rüth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 14:00:55 +0000

Yep, it seems that these are not static replies :)

On 10. Jan 2019, at 14:56, Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

 - Dmitri.

Best
Jan