Subject: Weekly github digest (QUIC Working Group Specifications)

From: Github Notifications <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 00:45:15 +0000 (UTC)

Issues
------
* quicwg/base-drafts (+8/-23/💬156)
  8 issues created:
  - VN packets may be dropped more often when the QUIC bit is 0 (by ianswett)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2400 
  - Specify DCID of 0-RTT packets (by mikkelfj)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2398 
  - Version field in Retry packets (by larseggert)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2397 [-transport] 
  - HTTP/3 frame encodings are unnecessarily difficult to serialize and parse (by ianswett)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2396 
  - HTTP/3 should use TLV (by ianswett)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2395 [-http] [design] 
  - Spoofed retry token attack on IP authentication (by mikkelfj)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2394 
  - kGranularity and max_ack_delay possibly should be added after exponential backoff (by ianswett)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2393 [-recovery] [design] 
  - Write up our security target against on-path attack (by ekr)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2387 

  69 issues received 156 new comments:
  - #253 HTTP/QUIC without Alt-Svc? (17 by ExE-Boss, mikkelfj, philsbln, kazuho, martinthomson, tfpauly, MikeBishop, LPardue)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/253 [-http] [design] 
  - #2394 Spoofed retry token attack on IP authentication (12 by kazuho, mikkelfj)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2394 
  - #2308 handling of coalesced packets with decryption errors creates DoS opportunity (8 by kazuho, ianswett, igorlord, martinthomson, mikkelfj)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2308 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2101 Should retiring all CIDs be an error? (8 by martinthomson, marten-seemann, dtikhonov, ianswett, MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2101 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2275 Varint h3 unidirectional stream types (7 by martinthomson, LPardue, MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2275 [-http] [design] 
  - #1810 Timing issues in version downgrade attack prevention (6 by kazuho, martinthomson, martinduke)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1810 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2180 Is Retry a new connection or what? (5 by kazuho, martinthomson, mikkelfj)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2180 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2397 "Invariant check" for any inbound LH packet (5 by martinthomson, MikeBishop, larseggert, mikkelfj)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2397 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2396 HTTP/3 frame encodings are unnecessarily difficult to serialize and parse (5 by DavidSchinazi, ianswett, LPardue, MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2396 [-http] [design] 
  - #2344 Frames that are allowed in 0-RTT packets (4 by martinthomson, huitema, MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2344 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2233 Why are setting identifiers not varints? (4 by martinthomson, MikeBishop, mikkelfj)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2233 [-http] [design] 
  - #1885 DATA frame encoding is inefficient for long dynamically generated bodies (4 by lnicco, ianswett, MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1885 [-http] [design] 
  - #2143 Be more conservative about migration? (4 by martinthomson, martinduke, ianswett)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2143 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2347 nothing can be sent when receiving a packet just after the idle close timer expires (3 by martinthomson, huitema)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2347 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2311 Connection migration attacks may have other side effects (2 by rpaulo, ianswett)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2311 [-transport] [editorial] 
  - #655 1-RTT stateless rejects (2 by martinthomson, kazuho)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/655 [-tls] [design] [parked] 
  - #2267 loss of only two packets can lead to an unrecoverable situation (2 by martinthomson, nibanks)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2267 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2100 Avoid creating QPACK codec streams when unnecessary (2 by MikeBishop, mikkelfj)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2100 [-qpack] [design] 
  - #2230 What indicates the end of a message? (2 by huitema, MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2230 [-http] [design] 
  - #2372 PATH_* frames should not be ACK-eliciting (2 by martinthomson, mikkelfj)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2372 [-recovery] [design] 
  - #1482 Extension poster-child (2 by DavidSchinazi, martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1482 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - #219 Increasing initial flow control window for streams (2 by martinthomson, huitema)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/219 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - #2151 Where can you send CONNECTION_CLOSE (2 by martinthomson, huitema)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2151 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2049 minimum payload size requirement creates awkward special case (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2049 [-transport] [editorial] 
  - #2309 Migration before handshake completed is very messy (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2309 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2319 Error code for acknowledgment of a packet that was never sent (1 by huitema)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2319 [-transport] [design] [yaec!] 
  - #279 Public Troubleshooting Flags (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/279 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - #602 End-to-Path Close Signal (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/602 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - #1951 Disconnect with Initial Injection (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1951 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2084 Discuss requirement that connection IDs not be correlatable (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2084 [-transport] [design] 
  - #1990 encoding of CONNECTION_CLOSE reason phrases (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1990 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2342 Spoofed connection migration as a DoS vector (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2342 [-transport] [design] 
  - #1834 Flow control for post-handshake CRYPTO messages (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1834 [-tls] [design] 
  - #2348 Specify IPv6 flow label for QUIC (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2348 [-transport] [design] 
  - #1243 ICMP and ICMPv6 PMTUD with asymmetric connection-ids (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1243 [-transport] [editorial] 
  - #2226 Why do I have to explicitly cancel after GOAWAY (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2226 [-http] [editorial] 
  - #2291 Allow extra data after self-terminating h3 frames (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2291 [-http] [design] 
  - #2229 Can I send non-data frames on CONNECT streams? (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2229 [-http] [editorial] 
  - #969 ACK Frames should be in Increasing Packet Number Order (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/969 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - #2232 Should receipt of multiple promises really be an error? (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2232 [-http] [design] 
  - #2329 Actions to take when Reserved Bits are not Zero (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2329 [-tls] [-transport] [design] 
  - #1994 endpoints don't know how many connection IDs the peer is willing to store (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1994 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2377 Crypto Frames/Packets Aren't Blocked by CC (1 by siyengar)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2377 [-recovery] [design] 
  - #2112 Largest Reference algorithm can produce invalid values (1 by afrind)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2112 [-qpack] [design] [has-proposal] 
  - #2371 Assign QPACK error codes? (1 by afrind)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2371 [-qpack] [design] 
  - #1989 frame type field of CONNECTION_CLOSE provides little value (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1989 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2118 Allow PMTU probing of a path suspected of not supporting PMTU of 1280 (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2118 [-transport] [design] 
  - #1993 Introduce a bit to indicate the server doesn't do IP-based authentication (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1993 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - #2253 Consider making h3 frame types varint (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2253 [-http] [design] 
  - #718 Retain use of SETTINGS_ENABLE_PUSH (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/718 [-http] [design] [parked] 
  - #2384 What scheme should be used for HTTP/3? (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2384 [-http] [design] 
  - #2360 0-RTT flow control limits can't be increased (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2360 [-transport] [design] 
  - #1874 Formal analysis of the protocol (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1874 [-tls] [parked] 
  - #2388 Articulate principles for definition of error codes (1 by ianswett)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2388 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2393 kGranularity and max_ack_delay possibly should be added after exponential backoff (1 by nibanks)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2393 [-recovery] [design] 
  - #2395 HTTP/3 uses LTV unlike TLS or QUIC transport (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2395 [-http] [design] 
  - #2398 Specify DCID of 0-RTT packets (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2398 [-transport] [editorial] 
  - #2276 Disallow changes of table size after 0-RTT (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2276 [-http] [-qpack] [design] [has-proposal] 
  - #2214 simultaneous key update can lead to deadlock (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2214 [-tls] [design] 
  - #1638 Dead path timeout (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1638 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2026 Can Initial/0-RTT CIDs safely be used for routing? (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2026 [-transport] [editorial] 
  - #203 Connection migration should be indistinguishable from a new connection (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/203 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - #1773 Build a version negotiation mechanism that mostly doesn't add round trips (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1773 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2159 Why are we bothering to number CIDs? (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2159 [-transport] [design] 
  - #2228 How do I generate an RST? (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2228 [-http] 
  - #371 ALTSVC Frame (1 by MikeBishop)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/371 [-http] [design] [parked] 
  - #632 On-path calculation of loss and congestion (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/632 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - #2170 Embed QUIC version in expansion (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2170 [-tls] [design] 
  - #2299 consider making the varint encoding unique (1 by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2299 [-transport] [design] 

  23 issues closed:
  - Should receipt of multiple promises really be an error? https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2232 [-http] [design] 
  - Retain use of SETTINGS_ENABLE_PUSH https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/718 [-http] [design] [parked] 
  - ALTSVC Frame https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/371 [-http] [design] [parked] 
  - What scheme should be used for HTTP/3? https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2384 [-http] [design] 
  - Why do control streams need to be typed? https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2224 [-http] [design] 
  - DATA frame encoding is inefficient for long dynamically generated bodies https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1885 [-http] [design] 
  - Allow extra data after self-terminating h3 frames https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2291 [-http] [design] 
  - HTTP/3 frame encodings are unnecessarily difficult to serialize and parse https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2396 [-http] [design] 
  - Introduce a bit to indicate the server doesn't do IP-based authentication https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1993 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - Extension poster-child https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1482 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - ACK Frames should be in Increasing Packet Number Order https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/969 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - consider making the varint encoding unique https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2299 [-transport] [design] 
  - End-to-Path Close Signal https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/602 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - On-path calculation of loss and congestion https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/632 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - Allow PMTU probing of a path suspected of not supporting PMTU of 1280 https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2118 [-transport] [design] 
  - encoding of CONNECTION_CLOSE reason phrases https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1990 [-transport] [design] 
  - frame type field of CONNECTION_CLOSE provides little value https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1989 [-transport] [design] 
  - Connection migration should be indistinguishable from a new connection https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/203 [-transport] [design] [parked] 
  - PATH_* frames should not be ACK-eliciting https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2372 [-recovery] [design] 
  - Why are we bothering to number CIDs? https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2159 [-transport] [design] 
  - Formal analysis of the protocol https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1874 [-tls] [parked] 
  - Actions to take when Reserved Bits are not Zero https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2329 [-tls] [-transport] [design] 
  - Are Separate Uni and Bidi Stream Limits Meaningful? https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2358 [-transport] [design] 

Pull requests
-------------
* quicwg/base-drafts (+6/-5/💬8)
  6 pull requests submitted:
  - Describe PMTU probing that includes source connection ID for routing … (by igorlord)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2402 
  - Remove duplicated 'an' (by ghedo)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2401 
  - Ipv6 flow label (by huitema)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2399 
  - capitalizing destination connection ID (by seanturner)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2392 [-tls] [editorial] 
  - removing stray ) (by seanturner)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2391 [-tls] [editorial] 
  - Remove requirement for reciprocal connection ID change (by martinthomson)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2386 [-transport] [design] 

  4 pull requests received 8 new comments:
  - #2379 Replace the RequireInsertCount decoding algorithm (4 by bencebeky, afrind)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2379 [-qpack] [editorial] 
  - #2402 Describe PMTU probing that includes source connection ID for routing … (2 by igorlord, mikkelfj)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2402 
  - #2390 removing stray ) (1 by seanturner)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2390 [-tls] [editorial] 
  - #2025 Send an immediate ACK (1 by ianswett)
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2025 [-recovery] 

  5 pull requests merged:
  - Change loss_detection_alarm.set() to update()
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2383 [-recovery] [editorial] 
  - Recovery editorial pass
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2381 
  - Send an immediate ACK
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2025 [-recovery] [design] 
  - capitalizing destination connection ID
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2392 [-tls] [editorial] 
  - removing stray )
    https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/2391 [-tls] [editorial] 

Repositories tracked by this digest:
-----------------------------------
* https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts