Subject: TR: New Version Notification for draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp-03.txt

From: Kuhn Nicolas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 08:04:56 +0000

Hi, 

We have updated our draft on "Transport parameters for 0-RTT connections". 
In short, the proposal of the draft is the following: 
   While each client and server can have its
   dedicated solution to store path parameters, having a standard way of
   exchanging this information helps in providing symmetrical control of
   the optimisation and reducing protocol ossification.  [...]

  This memo discusses a solution where the client is informed about
   path parameters: both the client and the server can contribute to the
   reduction of the time-to-service for subsequent connections.  This
   would improve symmetrical transmission of data and reduce
   ossification of the protocol.

Please let us know if you have any views on this proposal. 

Cheers, 

Nico

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [email-masked] <[email-masked]> 
Envoyé : lundi 8 juillet 2019 09:59
À : Stephan Emile <[email-masked]>; Emile Stephan <[email-masked]>; Kuhn Nicolas <[email-masked]>; Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Objet : New Version Notification for draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp-03.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp-03.txt has been successfully submitted by Nicolas Kuhn and posted to the IETF repository.

Name:		draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp
Revision:	03
Title:		Transport parameters for 0-RTT connections
Document date:	2019-07-08
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		11
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp-03.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp-03
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kuhn-quic-0rtt-bdp-03

Abstract:
   The time-to-service duration depends on both peers and the peer
   initiating the connection may not be the peer actually sending data.
   Moreover, clients may be resource-limited, behind a low bandwidth or
   a long-RTT network and may need adaptations to improve data
   transmission or reception.  While each client and server can have its
   dedicated solution to store path parameters, having a standard way of
   exchanging this information helps in providing symmetrical control of
   the optimisation and reducing protocol ossification.  QUIC may not be
   limited to HTTP3: it can be used as a substrate for proxying and
   tunneling.

   This memo discusses a solution where the client is informed about
   path parameters: both the client and the server can contribute to the
   reduction of the time-to-service for subsequent connections.  This
   would improve symmetrical transmission of data and reduce
   ossification of the protocol.  To improve the time-to-service of
   subsequent 0-RTT reconnection the server currently sets in the
   early_data extension the maximum volume of egress data the client is
   allowed to send when reconnecting.  This memo proposes BDP_metadata,
   an additional extension, to also inform the client about path
   parameters.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat