Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority-03.txt

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 12:11:10 +0000

Greetings Gentlefolk,

During IETF 105 in Montreal it was decided to form an HTTP Design Team.
Since then the team has had some good discussion [1] and made some
progress, which was presented by the team lead Ian Sweet during the QUIC
Interim meeting in Cupertino [2]. To summarise, the design team believe
that draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority is a good starting point for a priority
scheme that offers an alternative to HTTP/2 priorities, that a negotiation
mechanism for selecting the desired priority scheme for use in an HTTP/2 or
HTTP/3 connection is useful, and that reprioritization is useful.

Kazuho and I have released draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority-03. For ease of
reference and review, draft 03 incorporates a negotiation mechanism based
on a design modification to draft-lassey-priority-setting-00 [3] along with
updates based on the design team and community's feedback so far. In future
we may split these facets back out of the document.

The major changes in draft 03 are:

* A motivation section that consolidates several problems statements
presented to the HTTP community [4] [5] [6]
* A fuller negotiation mechanism based on a new SETTINGS_PRIORITIES setting
for HTTP/2 and HTTP/3.
    * Endpoints send an size-bound ordered list of their preferred schemes,
if a compatible scheme is found the server's preference order prevails.
* Fully specify how reprioritization works using a new frame called
PRIORITY_UPDATE for HTTP/2 and HTTP/3.
* Expanded guidance for intermediaries, especially those that coalesce
client connections to an origin.

We would appreciate any comment from the HTTP, or wider, community either
on the lists or directly on the GitHub repository [7].

Thanks again to all the contributors so far.

Lucas

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/http-priorities-design-team
[2]
https://github.com/quicwg/wg-materials/blob/master/interim-19-10/HTTP%20Priorities%20Update.pdf
[3] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lassey-priority-setting-00
[4] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-peon-httpbis-h2-priority-one-less-00
[5]
https://h3.edm.uhasselt.be/files/HTTP3_Prioritization_extended_3jul2019.pdf
[6]
https://github.com/Netflix/security-bulletins/blob/master/advisories/third-party/2019-002.md
[7] https://github.com/kazuho/draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 11:35 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority-03.txt
To: Kazuho Oku <[email-masked]>, Lucas Pardue <
[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority-03.txt
has been successfully submitted by Kazuho Oku and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority
Revision:       03
Title:          Extensible Prioritization Scheme for HTTP
Document date:  2019-11-05
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          19
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority-03.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority-03
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority-03

Abstract:
   This document describes a scheme for prioritizing HTTP responses.
   This scheme expresses the priority of each HTTP response using
   absolute values, rather than as a relative relationship between a
   group of HTTP responses.

   This document defines the Priority header field for communicating the
   initial priority in an HTTP version-independent manner, as well as
   HTTP/2 and HTTP/3 frames for reprioritizing the responses.  These
   share a common format structure that is designed to provide future
   extensibility.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat