Subject: Adam Roach's No Objection on charter-ietf-quic-01-02: (with COMMENT)

From: Adam Roach via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 16:40:44 -0800

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-quic-01-02: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-quic/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I note that the paragraph that previously ruled partial reliability and FEC out
of scope has been removed. Are these mechanisms to be considered in-scope in
this new version of the charter? I would suggest that it should say so
explicitly, if such is the intention.

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 21:12:35 -0600

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-quic/

 I agree with Adam, of course, about making that explicit (one way or the
other).

Just speaking for myself, of course, but as I read the proposed charter,
datagrams are in scope, and it seems … odd … to not have at least partial
reliability in scope as well.

I'll let people who are more familiar with the current state of play on
QUIC using FEC opine about that one.

Best,

Spencer

Spencer

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 11:03:41 +0100

> On 5 Feb 2020, at 1:40 am, Adam Roach via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

That was replace with text saying that _any_ new extension not listed requires a recharter.

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 10:16:48 +0000

Hi,

FEC is current out of scope, by not being explicitly mentioned. And as Mark
noted there is a general ruling out of scope additional extension not explicitly
mentioned. 

With the datagram extension, there will indirect be some discussion of partial
reliability. However, that function can be implemented in the context of
datagram as a pure sender side funciton by tracking which datagram frames that
are delivered and which that failed. 

Cheers

Magnus

On Tue, 2020-02-04 at 21:12 -0600, Spencer Dawkins at IETF wrote:
> I'll let people who are more familiar with the current state of play on QUIC
> using FEC opine about that one.
> 
> Best,
> 
> Spencer
> 
> Spencer
-- 
Cheers

Magnus Westerlund 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Networks, Ericsson Research
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Torshamnsgatan 23           | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------