Subject: QUIPS summary and report

From: "Christopher Wood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2020 08:24:55 -0800

Hi folks,

Last week, the QUIC Security and Privacy (QUIPS) workshop took place at 
NDSS 2020. Thanks to everyone who participated to help make it a 
success! A report from the meeting is available at [1]. Complete notes 
from the session (thanks to Sean Turner) are also available online [2].

I'd like to draw attention to the "Discussion and Future Work" section 
of the report, wherein we list some issues that were identified and 
discussed during the workshop. The two more prominent items that 
probably need further discussion are below:

- What should be the re-key frequency? The robust channels paper 
suggests it should take into account unreliable transport properties 
(i.e., a security degradation linear not alone in the number of 
successfully sent/received packets, but also in the number of rejected 
packets). The analysis done for TLS [3] claims to consider DTLS, which 
would translate to QUIC, but there is some concern that it doesn't. More 
work is needed.
- Can we use formal analysis tools to assert protocol correctness, i.e., 
to show that further deadlocks are not possible? And if not, can we 
bring back Version Negotiation as a mandatory feature or extension for 
V1? (Otherwise, how do we deal with fundamental protocol flaws that we 
can't patch with a new version? Is reliance on Alt-Svc discovery fine 
for now?)

I hope this is useful to the WG and continued development of QUIC!

Best,
Chris

[1] 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vk-J6SzZ7tUpFZ4TJKAcxPkPWy7t3T1axYCx32ybFLE/edit?usp=sharing
[2] https://github.com/chris-wood/NDSS20-QUIPS
[3] http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/~kp/TLS-AEbounds.pdf

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 16:39:52 +0000

Thank to those that wrote and shared meeting materials, and to those that
presented and discussed the range of topics.

Lucas