Subject: Translating Spencer's answers to questions on the ATSSS update in QUIC today

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 17:24:38 -0500

Because the questions I was asked were REALLY important, I went back
through the excellent notes and made some clarifications.

The questions I was asked, and my answers, now read as follows:

   - Jana Iyengar: there’s a race condition: is 3GPP actually doing work on
   things here in QUIC to make this work?
   - Spencer Dawkins: no, absolutely not. I skipped over the bottom of
   slide 2, which said that the participants on the draft want to do work in
   the IETF and 3GPP agrees with that. “Race conditions” are mainly between
   3GPP deadlines and IETF momentum. This is not new, but now we’re coupled
   more closely with 3GPP than we’ve been for other recent 3GPP dependencies
   on IETF work.
   - David Schinazi: I’ve seen discussion about 3GPP MPQUIC, impression is
   that outsiders are thinking: yes, 3GPP is doing MPQUIC, it’s happening! But
   they clearly are not… this work needs to be done in the IETF. We should
   really clear up that confusion, because right now it’s a mess
   - Spencer Dawkins: I understand the confusion, part of this is race
   condition between how quickly we are moving in the IETF and how quickly
   people outside the IETF seem to need what we’re specifying.

There was a parallel conversation in jabber that I wasn't following in
parallel, but since I'm already typing, I'll reproduce that here:

[12:35:06] <Martin Thomson> Does this mean that 3GPP will do the work if
the IETF does not?

(Answer is the same as I gave Jana above)

[12:38:03] <Alissa Cooper> We should probably get this sorted via our
liaisons
[12:38:21] <Mirja Kühlewind> 3GPP is not working on MPQUIC but they cite
the MPQUIC draft
[12:38:39] <Martin Thomson> Mirja, does that mean that they intend to
*depend* on that draft?
[12:38:45] <Jana Iyengar> I think David's point is about signaling, but I
don't know if we can really sort out what people say to the world about
what _they believe_ is actually happening
[12:38:48] <Mirja Kühlewind> they are aware that this is not a working
group item but the quic charter says that quic will work on it...

I'm not sure whether Martin Duk's next line was in this context, but based
on timing, I'm including it for completeness :-)

[12:39:00] <Martin Duke> bummer

I answered Alissa on her point about liaisons

[12:40:34] <spencerdawkins> @Alissa, understood. We can send information to
3GPP at any moment as participants, but 3GPP can only send formal liaisons
back from plenaries. We're working to tie that more closely together on
this specific topic, but liaisons will be fine for heavy lifting.

By this I meant that in discussions during SA#88 in early July, it was
decided that SA2 could also send liaisons to IETF after SA2 plenaries,
rather than waiting for SA plenaries, which happen only four times per
year.

Every improvement is an improvement.

I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Spencer