Subject: Roman Danyliw's Yes on draft-ietf-quic-transport-33: (with COMMENT)

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 14:51:13 -0800

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-quic-transport-33: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-quic-transport/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to the WG and implementation community for this document.

** Section 3.  Per “The state machines shown in this section are largely
informative ”, why the qualifier of “largely”?

** Section 8.1.  Per “Servers SHOULD ensure that tokens sent in Retry packets
are only accepted for a short time”, is there any guidance on what a short time
is here?

** Section 21.5.  Per “QUIC servers SHOULD NOT be deployed in networks that
also have inadequately secured UDP endpoints”, I was wondering if this caution
is a realistic.

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 16:31:30 -0800

On 1/5/2021 2:51 PM, Roman Danyliw via Datatracker wrote:
> ...

It better be. It is one of those "SHOULD NOT AND WE REALLY MEAN IT". We 
may also want to say something here about taking section 21.5.6 seriously.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 04:30:09 +0000

Hi Roman,

Thanks for the review. I've captured your comments as issues on the QUIC WG
GItHub repository. Links to each are provided as in-line responses.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-quic-transport/

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4564

> are only accepted for a short time”, is there any guidance on what a short

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4565

> also have inadequately secured UDP endpoints”, I was wondering if this

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4566

Cheers,
Lucas
On behalf of QUIC WG Chairs