Subject: Protocol Action: 'QUIC: A UDP-Based Multiplexed and Secure Transport' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-quic-transport-34.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 09:17:14 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'QUIC: A UDP-Based Multiplexed and Secure Transport'
  (draft-ietf-quic-transport-34.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the QUIC Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Duke and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-quic-transport/

Technical Summary:

QUIC is a standards-track, UDP-based, stream-multiplexing, encrypted
transport protocol. Its main features are minimizing connection
establishment and overall transport latency for applications such as
HTTP/3, providing multiplexing without head-of-line blocking, requiring
only changes to path endpoints to enable deployment, providing
always-secure transport using TLS 1.3.

This document set specifies the QUIC transport protocol and it
version-independent invariants, its loss detection and recovery
approach, its use of TLS1.3 for providing security, and a new version of
HTTP that uses QUIC (HTTP/3), along with QPACK for header compression in
that protocol.

Working Group Summary:

As can be expected, discussion on many aspects of QUIC was quite
intense. The resulting consensus, however, was judged by the chairs to
be both strong and broad.

Document Quality:

There are over twenty implementations of QUIC that are participating in
interop testing, including all major web browsers and many server, CDN
and standalone library implementations.

The acknowledgements sections of the I-Ds highlight the individuals that
made major contributions to a given document.

Personnel:

The document shepherds for the individual I-Ds are:

-   Lucas Pardue:
    -   draft-ietf-quic-http
    -   draft-ietf-quic-qpack
-   Lars Eggert:
    -   draft-ietf-quic-transport
    -   draft-ietf-quic-recovery
-   Mark Nottingham:
    -   draft-ietf-quic-tls
    -   draft-ietf-quic-invariants

The responsible AD for the document set is Magnus Westerlund.