Subject: QUICWG Temporary IANA Registry

From: Samuel Hurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 10:21:28 +0000

Hello All,

I have a question with regards to the Temporary IANA Registry page
hosted on the QUICWG GitHub wiki [1]. Is this page free for anyone to
edit to add to, or only for drafts that have adoption? I'm working on a
draft to add a new H3 frame type, and I'd like to make sure that I don't
end up using a frame type code that someone else ends up using as well.

A related question, but is there any restriction on what values an
experimental extension may choose? I'm currently running on the
assumption that it's not one listed in the temporary registry [1], a
code point in the HTTP/2 registry [2], not part of the standards-action
range 0x00-0x3f or one of the "MUST NOT be assigned" code points in the
range of `0x1f * N + 0x21` as detailed by quic-http [3]. To that end,
I'm currently thinking of using 0xD0F, would that be fine?

Best Regards,
Sam

[1]: https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/wiki/Temporary-IANA-Registry
[2]:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/http2-parameters/http2-parameters.xhtml#frame-type
[3]: https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-quic-http-34.html#iana-frames

---

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 08:36:04 -0500

Hi Sam,

> end up using a frame type code that someone else ends up using as well.

Yes: go ahead and add to it.

> I'm currently thinking of using 0xD0F, would that be fine?

Yes, this value is fine.  (If you expect your extention to evolve and
the frame format to change, one approach is to use a different value
in your initial drafts, e.g 0xFF...D0F, while targeting 0xD0F to be
the final value.)  In any case, do add it to the list to call dibs.

  - Dmitri.

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 15:33:50 +0000

Hi Sam,

Thanks for asking the mailing list. This is a good example of where a
courtesy note helps folks know what is going on, without restricting your
experimental work. The registry is great but I can't be the only one that
doesn't poll it too often.

+1 to what Dmitri said. The HTTP/3 PRIORITY_UPDATE frame went through some
iteration and, since frame parsing errors lead to connection errors, it's
good to have a few codepoints that allow iterating without needing to
strongly coordinate.

Cheers,
Lucas

---

From: Samuel Hurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 15:43:57 +0000

Hi Dmitri,

> the final value.)  In any case, do add it to the list to call dibs.

That's a very good idea, and I'll keep it in mind. Would I put both my
initial starting value in the registry, as well as my final target value
just to keep dibs on it? Or would it be frowned upon to camp on space
that I'm not using (although with a 62-bit number space, we'd need a lot
of extensions before anyone is treading on other's toes, I'd guess).

-Sam

---

From: Samuel Hurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 15:48:14 +0000

Hi Lucas,

On 03/02/2021 15:33, Lucas Pardue wrote:
> courtesy note helps folks know what is going on, without restricting
> your experimental work. The registry is great but I can't be the only
> one that doesn't poll it too often.

I'll be sure to reference the values I use when I present my draft to
the list in the near future.

Best Regards,
Sam

---

From: Dmitri Tikhonov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 14:45:12 -0500

> of extensions before anyone is treading on other's toes, I'd guess).

I'd put all of them in.  I doubt there will be any frowning: we want
more participation, not less!

  - Dmitri.